High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
40a070c64107d026d6f8d3251c002e74.jpg

Works better now.

Still waiting on the starter spring. [emoji853]

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I use a carbide tip masonry bit to drill (drill press) an oil hole in a guide bar?

Not wanting to ruin six or eight HSS more bits on the darn thing.

All I need is to break out a tad into the groove.

Check with @Wilhelm as he has some of the best drill bits for drilling bars.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I use a carbide tip masonry bit to drill (drill press) an oil hole in a guide bar?

My manner is to use dremel with diamond bits from Amazon. Modding oil hole to allow higher flo onto dl's, making 1/4" hole in center of sprocket for Alaskan post. From Amazon I keep looking for the least expensive and grab several for free shipping.
Carbide is painfully slow even if they are sharpened as much as can be. But none of them are speedy

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've never drilled a guide bar, but have you tried cobalt bits? I use them on anything hard and never have much of an issue. Then again, I have no idea how hard guide bars are. I wonder what Rockwell they would be. (quoted wrong post earlier, hence the reason I deleted it)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check with @Wilhelm as he has some of the best drill bits for drilling bars.
Very kind of You, thank You.:)

My manner is to use dremel with diamond bits from Amazon. Modding oil hole to allow higher flo onto dl's, making 1/4" hole in center of sprocket for Alaskan post. From Amazon I keep looking for the least expensive and grab several for free shipping.
Carbide is painfully slow even if they are sharpened as much as can be. But none of them are speedy
I agree, diamond laced burrs are universal and work on any material.
In regards of Solid-Carbide (aka. Widia, Tungsten-Carbide, Wolfram-Carbide) being slow - yes a masonry Carbide tipped bit is slower than a snail.
But try some Solid-Carbide bits specifically made and sharpened for processing metal.
The supported speeds (rpm), feeds and materials that can be processed are extreme.
There is nothing slow about a Solid-Carbide drill intended for processing metal. ;)
IMAG0580.jpg IMAG0585.jpg IMAG0586.jpg

I've never drilled a guide bar, but have you tried cobalt bits? I use them on anything hard and never have much of an issue. Then again, I have no idea how hard guide bars are. I wonder what Rockwell they would be. (quoted wrong post earlier, hence the reason I deleted it)
If You are referring to HSS-Co (High Speed Steel Cobalt aloyed) drill bits, they may be able to go through a soft AM bar but not quality OEM and brand bars.
In the end they are still merely a steel based alloy.
True, the added Cobalt makes them harder, but they are nowhere close to Solid-Carbide.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes You can!
It is slower than watching grass grow but it can be done.
Moderate rpm's, steady high pressure and a drop of oil or other cooling fluid.
Be careful with pressure once the drill starts exiting the material!
If the drill bit punches through too fast it will take a too big bite and break the carbide insert.
Having a drill press will help.
A massively used masonry drill bit won't do You any good as the leading edge will be rounded off too much. Try a brand new or sharpened drill.
Yes, Carbide drills can be ground.

I have drilled many holes in gang saw blades with masonry Carbide tipped drill bits, then I discovered Solid-Carbide drills for processing Steel - never looked back. :cool:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're just a few miles from me.
Lost?
Nope staying in a cabin south of Ozark and hanging out in Branson till the 26th

We do this at work on some grade 8 10# flat head screws when they strip out. It's ugly but you're not have to sharpen bits left and right.

Now these will tear a bar a new one in a dremel.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-1-8-...its-Tools-Cutter-Files-Set-Shank/223564923182

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening gents. Hope all is well. If you don’t have your shopping done your bout outta time! Went and got the wife a new vehicle yesterday. ‘14 Grand Cherokee diesel. Got 28-30mpg coming home with it stock. Curious to see what it’ll get tuned.
6ca5def15b36252275cc2552647ca317.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk