High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Honing a 026 cylinder?

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can someone give me some info on the best way to clean up a cylinder that has been mildly scratched up. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don't have an arbor you can get the same results with 3M green Scotch Brite pads and kerosine. It just takes longer .A little low spot,scratch generally won't hurt you .A high spot can break the surface tension of the oil film and cause problems .

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you don't have an arbor you can get the same results with 3M green Scotch Brite pads and kerosine. It just takes longer .A little low spot,scratch generally won't hurt you .A high spot can break the surface tension of the oil film and cause problems .

I got the saw back together and running good. I used muriatic acid and scotch bright on the cylinder to remove the transfer. Does the kerosine dissolve the transfer like the acid or with that method does the scotch bright so the work?

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the saw back together and running good. I used muriatic acid and scotch bright on the cylinder to remove the transfer. Does the kerosine dissolve the transfer like the acid or with that method does the scotch bright so the work?

No, the kerosene does not dissolve the transfer, it lubricates somewhat and the Scotchbrite just wears away at the transfer. The acid dissolves the transfer/aluminum but it will also attack any other bare aluminum it comes into contact with like at the edges of the ports where there is no plating to protect the aluminum.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I started messing with saws, I used muriatic acid on every scored cylinder I messed with, but then one day I was cleaning a 372 cylinder and ended up going under the plating on a score. I toasted the cylinder and it probably would have been fine if I hadn't used acid. Then I started just sanding out the scoring/transfer.

Last edited:

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I started messing with saws, I used muriatic acid on every scored cylinder I messed with, but then one day I was cleaning a 372 cylinder and ended up going under the plating on a score. I toasted the cylinder and it probably would have been fine if I hadn't used acid. Then I started just sanding out the scoring.

Will sanding not damage the plating? How long did the cylinder last before it failed?

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are careful enough and good enough with a file it can take most of the transfer out quickly, then sand with 320 or finer machine paper and polish with Scotchbrite. That is what I have done to remove transfer on plated cylinders for many years now.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll start with 100 grit on a mandrel made from a big nail and finish up with 220.

Its harder than you think to sand through but it can be done so you need to get a feel for it,don't take it all off with 100 you want to get it all off on the last step.

I tried acid once but I'd never use it on a cylinder.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use a maybe 3/8 " wooden dowel with a slot cut in it chucked up in a dewalt power drill. Set on low.
Start with about 100 grit. End up around 400.
Light pressure on dowel and flat to the ports. I also use a miracle concoction called "spit" ...readily available and cheap..
Lots of guys tell me I'm "full of spit" too....

Wash the cyl out good with soapy water and lots of air.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll start with 100 grit on a mandrel made from a big nail and finish up with 220.

Its harder than you think to sand through but it can be done so you need to get a feel for it,don't take it all off with 100 you want to get it all off on the last step.

I tried acid once but I'd never use it on a cylinder.
Was that the time you took your hot saw to the Pink Floyd concert?

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use a maybe 3/8 " wooden dowel with a slot cut in it chucked up in a dewalt power drill. Set on low.
Start with about 100 grit. End up around 400.
Light pressure on dowel and flat to the ports. I also use a miracle concoction called "spit" ...readily available and cheap..
Lots of guys tell me I'm "full of spit" too....

Wash the cyl out good with soapy water and lots of air.

If I covered my cylinder with what people tell me I'm full of, I'd be scared to pull the rope!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cleaned up a MS440 cylinder using Randy's method, worked great and runs very well. Was very pleased to bring that saw "back from dead" with only the purchase of a piston.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still use acid at times.

It's like any other tool, you can use it correctly or incorrectly. If you apply with a Qtip and watch it closely, you can generally tell if there's a pit that's just fizzing.

I reverse it in a hot bath of washing soda or lye.

I sand as well. With or without the addition of acid. Sometimes sanding can be deceiving and you can polish the transfer.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still use acid at times.

It's like any other tool, you can use it correctly or incorrectly. If you apply with a Qtip and watch it closely, you can generally tell if there's a pit that's just fizzing.

I reverse it in a hot bath of washing soda or lye.

I sand as well. With or without the addition of acid. Sometimes sanding can be deceiving and you can polish the transfer.

The transfer can be felt with the sharp edge of a knife, even when it has been polished smooth it still feels different than the chrome or nicasil plating. A light dab of acid from a Q tip placed right on the suspect area will tell if its transfer as well.