HOMELITE Homelite Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly looks like what I need. No part number for the elbow on the HK-3B IPL to compare for certainty. I've been reluctant to remove the existing elbow for fear of destroying it and in case my last resort is Seal-All if I can't find the correct replacement. I'll do some searching for a part number match. I'm encouraged by the links. Just didn't think to search without a part number. Duh...

Thanks!

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also had to search some time and I was not able to find an HK-3 IPL. From the picture in the link I think it may fit your carburetor.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those all seem to be Tecumseh parts..., at least the part number.

Anyone know a part number for the Tilly inlet elbow..., or if one of the Tecumseh 640363's would be the same elbow? Looks to be just the plastic piece that would seem to be a press fit over a brass interference fit insert in the carb body itself. Any other Tillotson elbows work for the HK? Not much out there on the HK carbs and I'm not quite sure what would be the most effective way to contact V.E. Peterson for information and perhaps a replacement from them. I'd just put an HDC on this saw if I already didn't have two kits and a couple hours into this HK. Found another HK that I may just go with as a last resort, but the damned carb will end up being worth more than the whole saw at that point.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to take down a dead tree, 16” dbh, leaning toward the house. Wanted to use a smaller saw with lots of grunt. Spotted one of my SEZAs.
Got the tree on the ground and cut up. I had totally forgotten how strong, light, handy, and generally totally awesome the SEZAs are. What was homelite thinking when they quit making these saws? Just sayin

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are you going to the auction? I wonder if the Homelite xl-15 still has the gear reduction on it ,I could not tell from the pictures. I would love to adopt all those super xl, and xl-12 saws, but Iowa is a long drive. why are all the Homelites so far away!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You find them in areas they were used at .For example Partner was not a popular brand in this area for chainsaws yet they were considered the best for concrete saws .It's a regional thing more or less .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will arrange pick up and shipping for anyone that would be interested in buying any auction items. I might have to get a premium if you buy one of the lathes or the heavy mobile equipment.

Mark

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will arrange pick up and shipping for anyone that would be interested in buying any auction items. I might have to get a premium if you buy one of the lathes or the heavy mobile equipment.

Mark
USPS in a flat rate???
Lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For you Mark, I will deliver the lathe free of charge.

Mark

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For you Mark, I will deliver the lathe free of charge.

Mark
Lots on neat equipment there, finally had a chance to check out the links.

I have a South bend 9" by 36" model 25-y lathe, production date is 9-11-13. Has a Westinghouse motor with a production date of 3-18 (I think, can't see the tag and couldn't find pic I had taken). I wish I had a spare minute to use it once in a while...

I sure appreciate the offer though, I would love to have the space (and time) for a large lathe. I really like old mechanical stuff like that. My restored/repaired/rebuilt ( with the lathe) bench vice is a Holland's Erie PA 14, plated VN 1863.
80b52291ce62331de36a13decc53750a.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a cheap alternative to the blue Prestolite coil?
4414b6ed843a703a22e9c0b36d8c0739.jpg

SEZ dead in the water.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common Husky coils can be fitted to work in some applications. A few guys have had success doing it. Hopefully someone will chime in with a tip or two. @fossil and @Hoggwood come to mind...

Think I also heard someone is making those coils again without the defect.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common Husky coils can be fitted to work in some applications. A few guys have had success doing it. Hopefully someone will chime in with a tip or two. @fossil and @Hoggwood come to mind...

Think I also heard someone is making those coils again without the defect.

It is / was Chicago Magneto but I no longer see it on their site.

Is there a cheap alternative to the blue Prestolite coil?
4414b6ed843a703a22e9c0b36d8c0739.jpg

SEZ dead in the water.

I went through it on PM with another member here. I will post what I put up and leave his out so it may not flow too well.

I never got around to trying that one out on a SUPER EZ. One guy on the House of Homelite site actually drove the lamination out of the husky type coil and put the blue coil lamination into the Husky coil. I think he had to shim the lamination as it was smaller. I think he did that for the Super XLAO.
If you have an actual 254 coil the lamination might slip out so you can replace it with the one from the blue coil.

If you're using the Chinese clone and you want to use the lamination it comes with there's a bit of fabrication to do.

I don'r see why it wouldn't work either way as the spacing on the lamination legs are the same on both units and the blue coil is the same one used on the larger saws,but I can'r guarantee that.

I don't have a Super EZ with a module. Mine is a points saw so hopefully your setup looks like this XL-1 which is the same cylinder minus the decomp.

dscf3987-jpg.154370

With the Chinese Husky coil in place. Obviously the husky lamination holes don't match or reach as required.

dscf3989-jpg.154374

I made up a couple of spacers on my XL-76 that mounted to each mounting boss on the cylinder and provided a second tapped hole (8-32) hole that matched the mounting holes on the husky lamination.
The top hole spacer that mounts to the boss would have to be counter sunk for mounting with a flat head screw.

Try to maintain the lamination position using the space (red circle) between the saw case and the top leg of the lamination to avoid any unwanted timing changes.

dscf3988-jpg.154379

I haven't tried drilling a hole in the laminations but others have a had success doing that. Any piece of metal that holds the coil in place without moving or coming loose should work.

You can see how so many of the the little ones burned up with the coil blocking air flow to the cylinder fins.

It's important to keep those fins clear of oily sawdust

I have not had any luck removing the lamination from the Chinese husky coils. They seem to be epoxied in place.

In case you don't know, the plug wires will unscrew from the module / coil. Not sure what size wire the OEM Husky coils have but the plug wire from the blue coil may not fit.

The best result would be if you could drive the lamination out of the Chinese Husky coil and replace it with the Prestolite lamination. I didn't try in ernest to get the lamination out of my clone coil as t appears to be epoxied in and I didn't want to ruin it.

The coil I used is available from a ton of places. Here's the one I used. and a link to one of the suppliers. They are available from Amazon, Huztl and many others. Likely sold by some of the vendors on here.
Ignition Coil for Husqvarna 50 51 55 254 257 261 262 XP 61 266 268 272 272XP Chainsaw
You can do better on the price. I think the most recent one I bought was around $7 from Aliexpress.

I hope that helps Carl

Last edited:

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7 bucks is in our wheelhouse.

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks bud!

Can’t be any harder than subbing a Wico for Bendix Scintilla on a Logmaster.
a3f68854952ba405c1a1f412c80d5552.jpg

I know you'll figure it out. You're the work around guy. If anything, the saws seem snappier with the module change but can bite back a bit,