Help me decide what Husky to keep

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys I'm hoping to get your help on deciding what chainsaw to keep and which one to sell. So I picked up a Husqvarna 51 chainsaw locally 6 months ago that seemed to run strong and was priced right. Well sure enough once I got it home and dug a little deeper I learned that wasn't the case. Long story short it had low compression (120lbs) and pulling the muffler revealed some decent scoring. I decided to keep the rebuild as cheap as possible and ordered a huztl 46mm cylinder and piston kit as well as a caber ring as I heard the huztl rings were a weak spot. I put the saw back together and it seems to run good, I've only got 2-3 tanks through it as I don't cut much. I also have another husqvarna 51 that I won in an auction off ebay, I placed a bid and wasn't expecting to win and then sure enough I got notification that I won. That saw appears to be completely OEM and while I haven't cut with it it has good compression and starts up and seems to run well over all. I really don't need two of the identical saw so I'd like to get rid of one and keep the other but I'm not sure which one I should keep and which one I should sell. I was hoping some husky experts could help guide me. Also I took pics of each of saws pistons on the exhaust side. Both seem to have what appears to be very light scoring.

The first pic is the 51 I replaced the cylinder and piston on with a huztl 46mm and base gasket delete

The second is the eBay 51 I bought that appears to be all stock

Should I be concerned with the pistons on either of these? I don't want sell something that isn't represented accurately. So if you were me which saw would you keep and which would you sell. Also I've been toying around with the idea of selling both and picking up an older pro saw in the hopes it will last me a lifetime. Thoughts?

-Matt

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so as far as deciding which one to keep and which to sell I've decided I'm going to list them both for sale and see which one sells first. I'd still like an opinion on the piston pics from an expert though, thanks!

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with pic 2. Pic 1 may be just a bad bevel I'd keep an eye on it.

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I did just get an email from HLSUPPLY about a clearance sale on a 55 top end kit so I may just order it to have on hand.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I did just get an email from HLSUPPLY about a clearance sale on a 55 top end kit so I may just order it to have on hand.

Get some Caber rings too.