Gremlins

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever try to fix something that isn't broke?

I was cutting with the 029 (64cc) noodling up some rounds. The engine decided it didn't want to rev over about 7,000 rpm. I pulled it out of the wood and revved it, same thing, 7,000 limiter, no misfiring or four-stroking, just loss of power. Finished cutting the wood using 7,000 rpm.

Checked the tank vent and fuel filter, worked fine. OK, probably the plug or coil. Plug looks great as does the fuel mixture. Figure if I rev it with a different plug while the coil was still cold, I might be able to diagnose if it was the coil. Fire it up and rev it, it still has the 7,000 limiter. I continue to hold the trigger for about another 10 seconds and it starts to clear, fades back again and then BINGO goes to max revs. Revved it a few more times and it works perfectly. Put the old plug back in and it works perfect. - What the Hell was all that about??

I just know that damn Gremlin will come back the next time I'm cutting with the saw.

Last edited:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
7:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come on now. It was what we called a wicker back in the day...

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that was my first thought, but the damn thing has cleared. It was like it had a chicken bone stuck in it's throat and has now spit it out.
Chunk of sumpin caught in the fuel system decided to let go?
But you think that would cause a lean run?

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe replace the fuel filter at least and rinse the tank out?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chunk of sumpin caught in the fuel system decided to let go?
But you think that would cause a lean run?

The plug showed the mixture was fine, however I had been running the saw below the 7,000 limiter to finish the wood. Chopped the ignition as soon as the bar went through the last round.

I replaced the fuel filter last year and when I pulled it out and checked it I could suck through it just fine.

I thought about pulling the carb and checking it, but for what? If something was floating around in the carb it has likely been sucked out.

I'm in that situation where ya can't fix what isn't broke. Freaking Gremlin...

If this fault comes back again, I hope it is a 'hard' fault that can be troubleshot.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had a thought. I opened up one of the air bleed holes a while back and when I put in the welch plug I put some nail polish on it to help seal it. I'll bet some of the nail polish came off and blocked the inlet to the high speed needle.

I think I will pull the carb now and clean up any nail polish I find.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had a thought. I opened up one of the air bleed holes a while back and when I put in the welch plug I put some nail polish on it to help seal it. I'll bet some of the nail polish came off and blocked the inlet to the high speed needle.

I think I will pull the carb now and clean up any nail polish I find.
Oh sure.... NOW ya tell us.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, pulled the carb apart and the nail polish was flaking. Took out the high speed needle to flush out the inners and when I held the needle up to the light I could see some crud still sitting on the end of the needle seat. - Should be good to go now.

At least I know that I got the low speed circuit fattened up enough - that's all the saw was running on.