Grandberg Jig vs Stihl FG2

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if anyone has a granberg for sale id would buy one, it's definitely sparked my interest. Are the older models better made?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if anyone has a granberg for sale id would buy one, it's definitely sparked my interest. Are the older models better made?
See link in Post#16 for opinions on older models. I have bought several off of eBay. They show up occasionally on CL and at garage and estate sales, but eBay is more predictable, and you can look through past auctions for pricing, condition, etc.

Philbert

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I put a shim in my FG2 to remove some side to side movement. I also know that the file slide has some wobble to it and often wondered if you can get the plastic shims replaced or a better option with tighter tolerance's.
There are things you learn over the yrs of playing with chainsaws and chains and owning a Grandberg is a great idea. You will pay for it in a few chains plus what you learn while doing it. I hate relying on someone else doing something for me that I should be able to do myself.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here is a question, do you guys file inside out or outside in ? I file outside in, but have seen a lot of guys filing inside out. Any reason or benefit ?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a question, do you guys file inside out or outside in ? I file outside in, but have seen a lot of guys filing inside out. Any reason or benefit ?

I think the stihl boxes show filing out. I always filed in. Tried out but I've got my muscle memory fighting me. But I do it all from one side of the bar. When I'm filing the flywheel side teeth with the granburg, I pull the file to me. A lot easier in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a question, do you guys file inside out or outside in ?
The Oregon manual states to file from the inside out. http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm (Page #25).
- the hard chrome on the outside of the cutter is hard on the file teeth, and;
- it is very easy to 'hook' the sharp cutter edge with a file tooth, and break it off on the last stroke.
This will leave a small 'burr' on the outside edges, but it will vanish in the first cut.

The exception in the Oregon manual is for square filed chain , which the recommend filing from the outside in (Page #64).
- this makes it easier to find the 'corner', which is important in square filed chain.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pull the file to me. A lot easier in my opinion.
Interesting idea. Like the difference between western 'push' hand saws and Japanese 'pull' saws.

I try to fixture the bar and chain in a vise, or something similar, so that I can use both hands to guide the file, but I am pretty sure that I still supply most of the force in a pushing mode.

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are all Stihl filing guides (granberg style) called FG2? I have the opportunity to buy a good but fairly old one that just has 'Stihl filing guide' on the box and instructions. Was there a FG1 or something?

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that the fg3 is an fg2 just a bar mount. The fg1 is more similar to the granberg. And the newer ones have a plastic file holding frame.

Old fg1

stihl_fg1_kettenfeilgeraet_zum.jpg

New

stihl-fg1-bar-mounted-sharpener-filing-tool-294-p.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that the fg3 is an fg2 just a bar mount. The fg1 is more similar to the granberg. And the newer ones have a plastic file holding frame.
Oooooh! I don't have an FG-1. Now I have a new quest!

Old fg1
New
The 'Old' FG-1 looks like the old Granberg 'File-N-Joint' models (photo in Post #2). These were sometimes sold under the McCulloch, Oregon, Craftsman, and other names.

The 'New' FG-1 looks like the Oregon DuraMax / 'Professional' model; they were made in Italy by Tecomec. https://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/BarMountFileGuide.htm
Good unit, same principle, larger than the current Granberg models. Likely, Tecomec makes these for STIHL as well?

There is also the more basic Oregon 'Sure Sharp' model, which used to be made in Italy, and is now made in (guess where?) China. Inexpensive, but works.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-Chainsaw-File-Guide/3678610

Philbert

Last edited:

TomJV

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
search
I'm interested in purchasing a FG3. This is the Stihl brand, bar mount file guide. I don't care about the price. I've used the Granberg type tools and can't be bothered fiddling and modding it to get it to work properly. I'd rather pay more and get a quality tool.
Does anyone have any idea how to get one? I understand they are only available in Europe, UK and Australia. ; (

TomJV

https://www.google.com/search?q=sti...=RAJQWJ_BJdLAjwO2jpGIAg#imgrc=yivwqmzoYYk24M:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The FG3's show up infrequently on eBay. The older Granberg's are frequently oneBay, and might show up in local CraigsList ads.

Philbert

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are 3 on eBay right now. Not cheap, but they are not always listed, and cheaper than a flight to Europe!

Philbert

they still have them in europe?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wonder if one of our canadian friends can get from the dealer there like some parts we cant get

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
they still have them in europe?
A few years back I spent a bunch of time on European websites. None of the dealers there would ship. And the prices were still in the range of these eBay sellers. So, if you know someone traveling or stationed overseas you might might ask for a favor. But I don't think that you will save much.

Best deal is finding one lightly used on one of these sites, on CL or eBay, or at that mythical garage / divorce sale where everything is cheap (I did once buy the $20 Oregon version at a garage sale for 25 cents!).

Philbert

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
right now i have a old bar welded to a pipe stand i made and use a granberg i also have a small vise that i can remove from bench and the homelite 410 chain vise philbert your a bad influence with the chain sharpening tools lol