High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Grandberg Jig vs Stihl FG2

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
These two jigs seem very similar in function however I have never seen a FG2 in person. That being said I bought my Grandberg for $35, it seems the FG2's are bringing $200 plus. What are the advantages of differences in the two jigs ? What is different about the Stihl that makes it that much more money ?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, first of all, it says 'STIHL' right on it!

It is a larger, much heavier tool in every aspect. Higher precision casting and finish. More precise, IMO.

The FG-2 is also a stand alone device: it mounts (or clamps) to a work surface, and has a built in vise to clamp and hold the chain while filing, whereas the Granberg (and similar devices), clamp to the guide bar. So the FG-2 can be used in a workshop without having the saw (and gas, oil, etc.) inside. The Granberg can be used on a spare bar mounted in a workshop vise, but is typically used on a chain mounted on a saw.

Shown below with an early version Granberg File-N-Joint (middle), and a current version at the bottom, for comparison.

FG2 Granberg 2.jpg

A more fair comparison would be with the STIHL FG-3, which is also a device that clamps onto the guide bar, but is similar to the FG-2 in size, quality, etc.

Bottom line: they all can sharpen chains. The FG-2 and FG-3 are just really nice versions (and NLA in USA), and so they command a higher price. The Granberg (and similar versions) actually allow more rotation of the top plate angle, while the STIHL versions allow only +/- 0° to 35° (which includes most 'typical' sharpening).

Philbert

Last edited:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So one difference I see that would make a huge improvement on the Grandberg is the bushings for the file holder guide rail. I get a lot of play from this area, I may try adapting some bushings here and replacing the rod with a precision piece of drill rod. Shouldn't cost much and I think will be a worthy upgrade.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never actually used a jig but just wondering if users who have are satisfied with the results these yield? Or do you sometimes think you can be better off with an old fashioned hand sharpen? Just my two cents.

CR500

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never actually used a jig but just wondering if users who have are satisfied with the results these yield? Or do you sometimes think you can be better off with an old fashioned hand sharpen? Just my two cents.

I believe both produce very good round chains

I have both and my chains always seem sharp

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I get super sharp chains with consistent angles with my granburg, but I'm constantly fiddling with it cuz it's cheaply made. I'm sure the original ones were much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Grandberg but can see where it could be better. However this would raise the price point and at $35 it's a very attractive option. I bought the grandberg because I simply can not hand file. I've tried and destroyed more chains than I care to count. I've also tried a few other jigs some as expensive as $120 and still did not get the results I am getting with the Grandberg. I'm not complaining about it's performance but the engineer in me sees places to improve. Move of the "slop" is in the guide rail, and the depth adjustment I feel is a pain in the rear.

Here are my results from the very first time I used my Grandberg with a cheap Oregon file, I am sure it will get even better with time using it.

IMG_1182.JPG

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do the these two jigs allow only for the cutter and gullet to be filed and sharpened or can they also be manipulated to file the depth gauge? These have always had me pretty fascinated.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do the these two jigs allow only for the cutter and gullet to be filed and sharpened or can they also be manipulated to file the depth gauge? These have always had me pretty fascinated.
Yes, they are designed to hold a flat file and have very fine adjustment for setting depth gauges. In the pic above the round file was set at exactly 80% of file diameter(.175) and depth gauges all at .030 . That's the beauty of the jig, every tooth is filed at the same angles, depth, length, and depth gauge height. I know some pretty good hand filers but I don't know of any that can sharpen a 72 link chain and get every tooth the same within the tolerance of the jig.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm very happy with the Grandberg but can see where it could be better. . . . Move of the "slop" is in the guide rail, and the depth adjustment I feel is a pain in the rear.

It is best to think of these jigs as 'guides', which help you to maintain consistent heights and angles, and not as some kind of rigid fixture that absolutely controls/constrains file movement. Even the models with lots of plastic parts work if used gently.

The large, pro 'DuraMax' version by Oregon is a bit heftier than the current Granberg models, and the older Granberg models show up on eBay regularly for $15 to $25. You want the 'File-N-Joint' models, with the longer base, not the 'File-N-Grind' IMO.

Philbert

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As philbert has stated these are guides.... I have a granberg, if and when a person learns to use it correctly, you can get a chain extremely sharp.... I also believe these guides help a person learn muscle memory, which in turn helps learn how to sharpen "free-hand!!!

With the extreme price difference I would definitely try the grandberg before the stihl... hell a guy could get a decent chain grinder for the price of the stihls sharpener, but thats another story LOL!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stihl sharpener does look well made, and I would like to have one.....we all know a guy can't have enough tool LOL...

I have decided that my next "sharpening" device will be an electric grinder, and maybe a Oregon...I cut a fair amount of firewood each year....if I can save sometime sharpening, and still get good results I feel it will be money well spent....

With that said i still use my granberg all the time... matter of fact sharpened 2-20" loops before cutting today!!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my next "sharpening" device will be an electric grinder, and maybe a Oregon... With that said i still use my granberg all the time...
I don't want to get too far off the topic of this thread, but there is no reason that you can't use your (future) electric grinder AND a file (with or without a guide), IF you "file as you grind and grind as you file". In other words, place the profiled edge of the grinding wheel the same as your file. A lot of guys assume that you are supposed to grind with the flat side of the wheel, but that creates a different cutter profile.

File and Grind Profile.png

Philbert

Last edited: