Granberg vs Oregon filing guide

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comparing the grandberg and Oregon filing guides and need opinions. I know the granberg is all metal, can't tell if the Oregon is too or if there is plastic in it.

I have the timberline and it's nice, just not quite what I need... I'll be selling that.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comparing the grandberg and Oregon filing guides and need opinions. I know the granberg is all metal, can't tell if the Oregon is too or if there is plastic in it.
@Philbert has probably tested both ?

Not as simple as THE Oregon vs. THE Granberg - several versions of each. Started a thread on this on 'another' forum with lots of photos, and opinions from a number of users:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-file-n-joint-revisited.193630/

Condensed version: High quality plastic does not make one 'bad', nor does all metal make another 'better' - the tool is supposed to guide you as you file, not force you into a rigid position. Fine if you don't fight it. Plus, the plastic frames do not crack and break like the ones in some of the older versions of the Granberg jigs. They all work. They will each allow you to get very consistent, very precise edges. Choose one that will make you happy. Or buy one of each, and keep your receipts.

The current version of the Granberg File-N-Joint (G-106B) is metal, but cheap metal - I had to disassemble the one I bought and polish off all the rough casting edges before using. It works. It is compact in size, compared to other versions. Often sells for around $35 (prices vary).

The current version of the smaller Oregon Sure Sharp (#23820) is similar in size. Uses molded plastic (nylon?) for the top cap and file holders. Often sells for around $23 (prices vary).

The larger Oregon Professional File Guide (#557849) has more metal, but still some plastic on the file holders. It is physically much larger than the other 2. Often sells for around $36 (prices vary).

The STIHL FG-1 looks like the smaller Oregon model, and likely came from the same vendor (used to be Italy, now China). The STIHL FG-2 and FG-3 are NLA, but massive, compared to even the larger Oregon model. Older versions of each are typically available on eBay.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I may get both. I just don't think the timberline takes enough material and it is kind of has an attitude.
Everyone has to find something that works for them. A lot of guys like the Timberline for maintaining an edge, due to its simplicity and consistency.

I tried it briefly - it's not my choice for bringing back a heavily damaged edge.

Post if for sale here, and you will find a lot of guys interested in it.

Philbert

Last edited:

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not as simple as THE Oregon vs. THE Granberg - several versions of each. Started a thread on this on 'another' forum with lots of photos, and opinions from a number of users:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-file-n-joint-revisited.193630/

Condensed version: High quality plastic does not make one 'bad', nor does all metal make another 'better' - the tool is supposed to guide you as you file, not force you into a rigid position. Fine if you don't fight it. Plus, the plastic frames do not crack and break like the ones in some of the older versions of the Granberg jigs. They all work. They will each allow you to get very consistent, very precise edges. Choose one that will make you happy. Or buy one of each, and keep your receipts.

The current version of the Granberg File-N-Joint (G-106B) is metal, but cheap metal - I had to disassemble the one I bought and polish off all the rough casting edges before using. It works. It is compact in size, compared to other versions. Often sells for around $35 (prices vary).

The current version of the smaller Oregon Sure Sharp (#23820) is similar in size. Uses molded plastic (nylon?) for the top cap and file holders. Often sells for around $23 (prices vary).

The larger Oregon Professional File Guide (#557849) has more metal, but still some plastic on the file holders. It is physically much larger than the other 2. Often sells for around $36 (prices vary).

The STIHL FG-1 looks like the smaller Oregon model, and likely came from the same vendor (used to be Italy, now China). The STIHL FG-2 and FG-3 are NLA, but massive, compared to even the larger Oregon model. Older versions of each are typically available on eBay.

Philbert

So if you were going to buy just one, your first file guide, which would you pick? I'm leaning granberg.

I have machine shop experience and know how to work a file and what not, but the angles I'm sure I could mess up.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if you were going to buy just one, your first file guide, which would you pick? I'm leaning granberg.
Go with what you are leaning to. Couple of suggestions:

- take it apart and clean up the castings first;

- make sure the saw (or guide bar) is firmly clamped in a vise;

- use a new, sharp file;

- don't think about speed at all for the first few loops. Focus on getting the filing jig set up correctly, and getting each tooth perfect. Speed and proficiency will come with familiarity.

Philbert

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been reading thought the link you posted a few days ago. It seems like some of the older ones are hit and miss. This one looks well built.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Despite the 'Oregon' name that is essentially an older style Granberg. They usually clean up very nice.

It is physically larger than the current Granberg's, and better made IMO. Only weak point is the file holding part which can crack (see photos in other forum). But easy to make replacements with machine shop access.

No reason to only have one!

Philbert

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Despite the 'Oregon' name that is essentially an older style Granberg. They usually clean up very nice.

It is physically larger than the current Granberg's, and better made IMO. Only weak point is the file holding part which can crack (see photos in other forum). But easy to make replacements with machine shop access.

No reason to only have one!

Philbert

My buddy has a lathe an mill. I'm thinking about looking into what size stock gets really close to the factory dimensions, and then having him drill the holes and make everything good from a 6061 probably. If it works ok I may see about having him do a few. He was looking for a small side job to offset some tooling costs.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@unionvillecountryboy Did you buy a guide? I have an Oregon and a Granberg you can try out. However, I recommend either the Stihl 2 in 1 or the Pferd cs-x (they`re the same).

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up an older oregon but I've been working so much I haven't had a chance to try it.
OK. If you'd like to try something different when time allows just let me know. I have the 2 in 1, granberg, cs-x (stole from @dall), Oregon guide like the granberg, husky roller, cheap dc Dremel knock off.