Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll send them a mail tomorrow.
You have one mail adress? Perhaps best to send mail to same person ;)

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
9:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if the upper engine plastic on a N.E. 346 could be swapped in for an O.E. saw? I miss having the purge bulb on my old N.E. version...

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just went out and popped the top off my NE346. I don't think it would be feasible as the purge valve mounting bolt hole is cast in the left side crankcase half. Without being able to bolt it to the case, I'm not sure how you might facilitate mounting the purge valve.

FWIW: Other than not tuning in proper with the bad HDA159, that OE346 without the purge valve started up just as easily as my NE346 with the purge valve.. To the point that I wonder why Husky felt the need to add the purge valve... Maybe because of the Zama carb found on the NE???

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
9:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would believe that. The only time I found it to be of profound use was when the saw had been stored dry for month(s) and then brought back into service. Otherwise it usually always started pretty quickly and always started warm on the first pull. Then again, my 562xp is probably my easiest starting saw with the 9010 being next in line. The MS261 and MS201T aren't bad. The 262xp and 372xp can be a PITA to start if it's been awhile since they were run last, IF you don't trickle a touch of as in the carb preemptively.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I picked up the new Zama C3-EL18B carb for the OE346 today. Saw runs great, like a good 346 should!! :)

I'm still waiting on the NE style air filter mount, there was a mistake made and it was never shipped. It was re-ordered and should be here in a few days.

We have a few tree removals scheduled for monday at work.. It sounds like I'll be the bucket truck man for the day that day and I plan to take "my" newly rebuilt OE346 up with me. I can't wait to run it!

I am really starting to enjoy bringing saws back to life and running like they should. :)

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just work safe and stay alert of the surroundings.

Always do my best in that regard... Roadside bucket truck work and tree removal requires everyone on the job ot be alert and aware be they on the ground, in a piece of equipment, or in the air. Traffic, utilities, coworkers, dangerous machinery, lots to keep track of. I belong to a good crew, we all watch each other's backs.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I took the 346 up in the bucket to take down 2 medium size roadside hard maples today. These trees were probably 25 to 30" at the stump. Large old roadside hard maple around here are often 4 to 6 feet at the stump.

Anyway, I would say the first outing with my newly rebuilt 346 was 98% successful. It runs like a madman up top and cuts with authority. I just need to finish dialing in the low side a little better. When letting off the throttle between cuts and letting it idle while moving myself/the bucket the idle slows after a few seconds and it sometimes stalls. I did take a tuning screwdriver up with me, but I couldn't spend a heck of alot of time tweeking with it while on the job.

I'll see if I can tune it in a little more tomorrow before we go out and hit a few more trees. I plan to take it up again.

Other than the minor idling issue, it runs awesome. :)

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good to hear.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to report that after a little pre-work tuning I got the 346 dialed in and it will idle all day if I let it. :)

So there you have it, a tired OE 346 that was doomed to spend the rest of its days on a shelf collecting dust is back up and running 100%. In all honesty, I don't think I could tell the difference between this OE and my personally owned NE in a blind test. I'm very happy with how this turned out!

Next up: Project 359......

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to report that after a little pre-work tuning I got the 346 dialed in and it will idle all day if I let it. :)

So there you have it, a tired OE 346 that was doomed to spend the rest of its days on a shelf collecting dust is back up and running 100%. In all honesty, I don't think I could tell the difference between this OE and my personally owned NE in a blind test. I'm very happy with how this turned out!

Next up: Project 359......
Nice out come :) . The 1st edition was a little gem…a " True legend in its own lunchtime" so it its all Gravy .