Stihl 2-1 - sliding files????

49erRider

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Evening! Had a question about my 2-1 Files.

I have multiples of these for each chain type i own. I've noticed in my 3/8 file that one of the round files has some play and will slide back and forth 1/4-1/2 inch . I open the flip top and nothing looks broken. Is this part of the design that after some use the files don't sit as tight and develop some play? Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Evening! Had a question about my 2-1 Files.

I have multiples of these for each chain type i own. I've noticed in my 3/8 file that one of the round files has some play and will slide back and forth 1/4-1/2 inch . I open the flip top and nothing looks broken. Is this part of the design that after some use the files don't sit as tight and develop some play? Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Mine wiggle too. Really doesn't matter much because I don't drag the file back so the files only shift ends once per session.

49erRider

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine wiggle too. Really doesn't matter much because I don't drag the file back so the files only shift ends once per session.
Okay, I guess I was wondering why some do and some don't? Just didn't make sense to me. Didn't know if a shim or something broke off?