Fireplace

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Just like anything. There are wood eating smoke stacks that cool your house more by drawing air from other rooms. And there are more efficiently made burners with fans built in and glass sliding doors that help control draft.

I am putting in a pioneer 2 by Quadrafire that has a combustion air intake and a sealed door and auto draft control. Pretty state of the art compared to just a masonry hole in the wall.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have two w/doors, fans and pipes for outside air.

But I can only burn wood during a prolonged power outage or furnace breakdown. [emoji22]

Wife has a sinus problem. [emoji849]

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For every cubic foot of air that comes out the top of the chimney a cubic foot of air has to enter the house to replace it. When i was a kid we rented and old house with a fireplace. Great for ambiance but sucked for heating. Brother in law has an insert that uses external air. Heats the house like gangbusters. By contrast my house has 2 fireplaces and there has never been a fire in either of them, just candles.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A normal fireplace might get the room hotter from better direct heat radiation off the coals and flames compared to a stove which traps that inside, but I think a stove will be much more efficient. Our stove is in the middle of a 100ft long house, and it makes the outer rooms colder unless it it burned really hot (too hot) constantly, then it will overcome the heat lost from cold air coming in. The fireplace room will be 100F and the outer rooms 65F when it is around 20-40F outside. The 200W fan running 24/7 isn't nice to the power bill though, but it can blow a good 450-500F air out of the stove running it on the hot side. We had to replace the damper recently because it warped severely during the past 2-3 years, and was crumbling away from 30 years of exposure to moisture coming down the chimney.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As has been mentioned earlier, *IF* you have an outside air supply, at least glass doors, but preferably an air-tight burn chamber, and a forced air blower, they are pretty darn good heaters, and relatively efficient. If it's just chain-mail, or crappy doors, draining intake air from the room it's heating, then you're going to have nice ambiance, a net decrease of temperature and a voracious appetite for wood, while not holding coals well...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another old story .Brother in law,brother ,dad,myself all burned wood .Dad had a cast iron insert ,brother had a barrel stove I built,I had a down draft stove I built using the same design as a Vermont down drafter ,BIL had a "heatilator " fire place .He burned more wood than the other 3 of us combined .

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the past 20 years, I've been heating two floors (2,800 sq ft) of my house with this. It has dual external air feeds. It has a blower that pulls air from the room, heats it and blows it back out. I run several ceiling fans and the blower on the furnace to distribute the warm air. It provides all the heat I need, down to around 10*. Below 10*, I supplement with a propane furnace.
Putting it in was the best decision I made, when building the house.

image.jpeg
My last two houses had standard masonry fireplaces.
The were both ineffective as a heat source.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the past 20 years, I've been heating two floors (2,800 sq ft) of my house with this. It has dual external air feeds. It has a blower that pulls air from the room, heats it and blows it back out. I run several ceiling fans and the blower on the furnace to distribute the warm air. It provides all the heat I need, down to around 10*. Below 10*, I supplement with a propane furnace.
Putting it in was the best decision I made, when building the house.

View attachment 211558
My last two houses had standard masonry fireplaces.
The were both ineffective as a heat source.

So your fireplace is not ducted through the house, correct?

I knew a guy that bought a house with a fireplace that was ducted through the house. I never heard of it before.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So your fireplace is not ducted through the house, correct?

I knew a guy that bought a house with a fireplace that was ducted through the house. I never heard of it before.

Correct, mine is not connected to the duct work.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a03239a553e32be0d21fad3f937f44c6.jpg

This is a similar set up to above. When it gets really cold, close to zero, I turn the fan on to the Forced hot air furnace just to get the air moving also line @srb08 they did Sell kits were you could duct off. And he other rooms but the consensus was they didn’t work that well although I did duct one down into the basement I don’t have it hooked up yet as the basements not finished yet. The other option I had with this was to either Pull fresh air in from outside to pressurize the house or run a return duct far away from the fireplace to pull in the cold air from the other side of the house I chose the latter and I plumbed into my duct work. In hopes to get the air moving more. It works great until we get those below zero nights the furnace will kick on upstairs a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes more sense in Oklahoma than an outdoor wood boiler. The problem....finding someone to install it on a new construction