davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not having seen you operate, my guess is you'd do just fine.

Are you used to working on slopes, poor/loose footing? Do you know how to use your body and shift the balance of your weight under those conditions?

That is more important, imo, and takes more time to learn than the bucking.

How often do you cut logs from the far side in order to preserve the saw logs and eliminate breaking/splintering?
I'm half billy goat. My concern is reading/feeling pinch on logs big enough to smash a feller.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm half billy goat. My concern is reading/feeling pinch on logs big enough to smash a feller.

Come work with us, dude. You'll "love" it! Although our current job spec is 6" or under, so it's not the "most exciting."

So, you can read the tension as you're cutting, if its not visible from the log/branch positioning. Add more trees, trunks, and broken hanging limbs and it does get much more complicated.

Sometimes it's good to undercut/kerf cut the log on both sides of where you intend to buck the log. If the main cut is an undercut, you can overcut on both sides of the main cut.

Cut V's if needed. Cut blocks out if needed.

Otherwise, cutting from the far side of the log, then down, then up from the bottom, is many times the safest way to go. Nip, nip, nip, and nip some more. Might spend a few minutes at times nipping and waiting/watching the log move.

I've been told im a "double capricorn", whatever the hell that means. I'm also a fellow goat.....and often goat-headed.

Last edited:

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Power lines came back across street tree side. Forked top to the right leaned toward them. Probably could have bull roped and fell it. But asked my climber to dismantle the tops, and I fell the big stem.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Marry Christmas to you also, that large pine would have made some nice 2x4’s and quite a few if it was solid
Agree! My mill friends are always so busy. Unless it's Redwood they have a hard time breaking free. Maybe Walnut too. Have a white Oak, and a Oregon ash to cut up or mill up now for a guy. Nobody seems excited to mill it, they are all on Redwood. A friend here is getting about 1,000 dollars per 20 foot beam Redwood he sells.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree! My mill friends are always so busy. Unless it's Redwood they have a hard time breaking free. Maybe Walnut too. Have a white Oak, and an Oregon ash to cut up or mill up now for a guy. Nobody seems excited to mill it, they are all on Redwood. A friend here is getting about 1,000 dollars per 20 foot beam Redwood he sells.
I understand the money aspect, redwood beams and black walnut especially veneer logs bring big money. For a guy like me with a small bandmill it’s about saving money on lumber when I see that. Not a lot to be made on a pine 2x4 ect.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand the money aspect, redwood beams and black walnut especially veneer logs bring big money. For a guy like me with a small bandmill it’s about saving money on lumber when I see that. Not a lot to be made on a pine 2x4 ect.
Absolutely and if I had my own mill. I would mill everything. Wish I did at times have 1.