High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Economy chainsaw

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Figured it was best to post in the off topic area ;)

About go forward on a build as an economy climbing saw for chunking. More powa is good but more fuel usage is NOT
So here we go all you naysayers.

Better fuel economy, more power and no more noise than near stock. Tall order for a short stack.
Our victims will be several. First up will be an 034. Swap or not to swap to a big bore. No brianer there... moving on. Two jugs here to play with so that helps.

Hard to start, eats a too much gas and loud with scary won't be tolerated.

Thoughts?
Input is encouraged so spit it out or stfu... your choice.
Long intake time won't help so forget that.
The rest is open season :tiburon:

:fighting02:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Figured it was best to post in the off topic area ;)

About go forward on a build as an economy climbing saw for chunking. More powa is good but more fuel usage is NOT
So here we go all you naysayers.

Better fuel economy, more power and no more noise than near stock. Tall order for a short stack.
Our victims will be several. First up will be an 034. Swap or not to swap to a big bore. No brianer there... moving on. Two jugs here to play with so that helps.

Hard to start, eats a too much gas and loud with scary won't be tolerated.

Thoughts?
Input is encouraged so spit it out or stfu... your choice.
Long intake time won't help so forget that.
The rest is open season :tiburon:

:fighting02:
Ive got a mcculloch sp40 with 200 psi compression and an obnoxious stack muffler off an original Mini Mac 6. That should uncheck all your boxes.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High compression, if you can still get it to start easy, or try a small decomp port attached to the exhaust port similar to what the 2511t has, but I'd make it shallower. 192t might also have such a port. Using one will make compression low for starting and high at high rpm.

Port for high low end torque. Making peak power on the low end will help it run a larger sprocket in my opinion. Larger rim can help it cut more wood with less gas.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh?

My thoughts are for a forgiving power band, and where the goal isn't to make peak power at higher rpm, but on the lower side. It's not about racing if I understand the issue, rather trying to cut wood fuel efficiently. I think it would be easier to increase power at low rpm (like less than 8000rpm) if the muffler will remain stock or quiet like the OP is suggesting, than trying to make peak power at higher rpm.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit, I know I'm not good at putting my thoughts into words.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always used an 020 or 200t for climbing and topping. They are expensive though but, if you're talking about climbing and topping every day I reccomend. There are also some good little echo saws that have balls and don't weigh much. I can't remember the models cuz I've been out of the tree business for a while... my 80 year old friend ran a tree business and we used to go out everyday and prune back or bring down trees in mostly residential where you want a bunch of little pieces coming down instead of dropping the whole tree. 020 and 200t were the saws we used.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Quite happy with my non top handled small saw.
Lightweight with lots of powa for it's class.
It's all stock, and fuel efficient.
I broke it in with an 18'' bar. Now has a 20'' LWB and has no problemos spinnin chain.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quite happy with my non top handled small saw.
Lightweight with lots of powa for it's class.
It's all stock, and fuel efficient.
I broke it in with an 18'' bar. Now has a 20'' LWB and has no problemos spinnin chain.
If you're talking 036 I do love the 036 pro. Dad has one he bought new in 1997 and we have cut firewood with it every year and had to change plugs, clean air filter and clean the spark screen. Pretty sure it will run forever.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you're talking 036 I do love the 036 pro. Dad has one he bought new in 1997 and we have cut firewood with it every year and had to change plugs, clean air filter and clean the spark screen. Pretty sure it will run forever.
I do love the 036, but that's not it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh dew tail.

Wanna race?
Nope.

Lol
I've always used an 020 or 200t for climbing and topping. They are expensive though but, if you're talking about climbing and topping every day I reccomend. There are also some good little echo saws that have balls and don't weigh much. I can't remember the models cuz I've been out of the tree business for a while... my 80 year old friend ran a tree business and we used to go out everyday and prune back or bring down trees in mostly residential where you want a bunch of little pieces coming down instead of dropping the whole tree. 020 and 200t were the saws we used.
Nobody wants those old crappy saws
Huh?

My thoughts are for a forgiving power band, and where the goal isn't to make peak power at higher rpm, but on the lower side. It's not about racing if I understand the issue, rather trying to cut wood fuel efficiently. I think it would be easier to increase power at low rpm (like less than 8000rpm) if the muffler will remain stock or quiet like the OP is suggesting, than trying to make peak power at higher rpm.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit, I know I'm not good at putting my thoughts into words.
Damn your lost. More flow down low less up high.

No gay saws were harmed in spewing of this thread, just sayin'

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh?

If you want to cut wood fuel efficiently a strato saw is going to be your best bet. Even ported they aren’t as hard on fuel compared to the older style saws.

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always come back to MS200t for the best combo of power to weight ratio, on paper anyway. Are they thirsty? My MS150t is a fuel sipper and not very loud, but a bit down on power, it takes patience. I still pick it up way more often than my boat anchor Husky 460.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The saw has been cleaned and gone through.
It needs nothing.
Thanks Lee and his son for a quality tool, well packed and tested by request of the buyer :D

The muffler is... well very nice imo.
The mufkin mod will be easy to mod. The front exit hole under the face guard is huge! Never saw one this big on a stock saw. I'm not removing the baffles. Going to modify them to increase flow but not noise. It will be as quiet or quieter than a stock 036.

The carb is an Irish Tilly and it works perfect. Didn't even look in it or remove it. I did wash a mostly stripped saw last night minus removing the coil, wires and oil pump. It was just nasty covered in oil but no damage or stripped holes. Was lazy and left the tank handle and intake system on it. In the kitchen sink it went under the sprayer. Winner!

The saw is lazy just like the stock 361 was/is. No worries because a muffler mod and ignition timing will fix that, started out with two degrees last night and we go up from there. Starts and idols just the same. The idol goes down ridiculously low on this saw as is and starts like cake. Not that Cake just cake ;)
She fit the bill so Cake is shall be.