Dumb chain question(s)

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I’ve always been a Stihl chain guy, but I wanted to try one of these hooskies everyone’s always talking aboot. So I got myself some loctite, some extra screws, and a 288XP (without a chain on it).

Problem is, I don’t speak Oregon chain lingo, and I can’t find a straightforward chart kinda thing to tell me what product number I need.

So, dumb questions:

1) What’s Oregon-speak for 3/8, .058, 93DL, semi-chisel, “pro”/yellow/NON anti-kickback chain?

2) Is there another brand I should consider? Always been happiest with Stihl chain—not because of the brand, but because it “seems” to hold the edge longer (flame suit on).

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local Stihl dealer said Stihl only does .050 & .063

(Facepalms after a quick google search)

Told you it was a dumb question!

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would avoid TriLink, also sold at Tractor Supply as County Line. Lots of stretch, didn’t hold an edge very long, didn’t take a good edge when sharpened. The Archer chain is above TriLink but not equal to Oregon. These are just my observations on brands I’ve tried, others could have better or worse results.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Stihl chain as it is very robust to handle the tough fibers in Ozzie hardwood. However, I've been using some Carlton chain that is as tough to file as Stihl and holds an edge very well. It is now my favorite chain and a LOT cheaper here in Oz.

Here's my disclaimer clause - I have no idea where this roll of Carlton was manufactured, I have no idea if it was a fluke in the manufacturing, or a different metallurgy. With chains being manufactured all over the world and sold under the same brand, I am reluctant to recommend any particular brand.

All I can suggest is that in your area, get one loop of Carlton for your particular bar and try it, if it holds up like you want it to, you could purchase more loops, hopefully off the same roll.

Last edited:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've also had good luck with Carlton. Got Stihl and Oregon too. Bought some of the Oregon EGX but have yet to try it. I think they make EGX in semi too. I've heard good reviews about it.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Local Stihl dealer said Stihl only does .050 & .063

(Facepalms after a quick google search)

Told you it was a dumb question!
Stihl makes .058 chain, I used to buy it all the time. But like Oregon better now.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No doubt at least from my perspective Stihl makes the more robust chain .Gauge I think is more regional or time period related .058 for example .Then too I was given a 32" McCulloch bar that was .404 by .050 which I changed the nose on to 3/8" .Must have been a west coast thing perhaps ?

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Semi chisel .058 73DPX is damn good work chain!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't bothered with semi chisel in years .I have a few loops for the antiques but that's about it ,even some genuine chipper .