Dominant V4 Piston for the 372

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tuned it richer but it didn't get any better, just slower. Maybe if I ground on the transfers it would gain some torque, I don't know. If you have to grind on the cylinder you might as well go with a cheaper Meteor piston. I'll be taking it out of my saw. If they got rid of the exhaust cutout it would be a better piston but I still wouldn't pay $119 for it. I tried it richer and leaner and made a video of it turning 13560 rpm, I gave up after that.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tuned it richer but it didn't get any better, just slower. Maybe if I ground on the transfers it would gain some torque, I don't know. If you have to grind on the cylinder you might as well go with a cheaper Meteor piston. I'll be taking it out of my saw. If they got rid of the exhaust cutout it would be a better piston but I still wouldn't pay $119 for it. I tried it richer and leaner and made a video of it turning 13560 rpm, I gave up after that.

Too much blowdown maybe.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I can cut that exhaust cutout out of it and still use it.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Man that thing has a great exhaust sound if anything.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Doesn't seem like it will hold RPM worth beans if you lean on it. I think you should check the port timing. Small changes can get some big gains. If you haven't done anything to cylinder you can't expect a huge improvement. Essentially the only thing changed is the exhaust height and that might have a negative effect.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't seem like it will hold RPM worth beans if you lean on it. I think you should check the port timing. Small changes can get some big gains. If you haven't done anything to cylinder you can't expect a huge improvement. Essentially the only thing changed is the exhaust height and that might have a negative effect.
I might reduce the blow down and see what happens.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d bet the farm that it would run better if there was a 5* notch over the primaries and a 1* notch over the secondaries with nothing on the exhaust side

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if there’s enough crown thickness
Your probable right. I'll pull the cylinder Monday and go from there. I wish there was something I could do with it, it's a nice looking piston.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about if you were to do what kevin said with the notches and then cut cylinder base, then turn piston at the squish band to remove exhaust slope? Sounds like alot of crap, but that's were I would have gone if there was a machine shop in my back yard lol

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d bet the farm that it would run better if there was a 5* notch over the primaries and a 1* notch over the secondaries with nothing on the exhaust side
I agree but that would be taboo...and that don't sell pistons. Lol

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about if you were to do what kevin said with the notches and then cut cylinder base, then turn piston at the squish band to remove exhaust slope? Sounds like alot of crap, but that's were I would have gone if there was a machine shop in my back yard lol
Might as well adjust the ports. That piston can run well as is, if the port timing is brought to where it should be.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might as well adjust the ports. That piston can run well as is, if the port timing is brought to where it should be.
I think your right, I'm going to go ahead and port it. After I widen the exhaust I'll cut that notch to match it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ll probably gain torque when you lean it out a touch more too, after break in of course.

Last edited:

NSEric

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If I had that piston I'd grind/file a notch into the top of the piston like the one by the exhaust port beside the transfers to get the blow down in the 20 degree range.
This would give ported saw like port timing without grinding on the cylinder.

I ground the top of the piston by the transfers to adjust blowdown on the Chinese saws I ported because I don't have a tiny angled grinder that will do the tops of transfers, they work fine.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had that piston I'd grind/file a notch into the top of the piston like the one by the exhaust port beside the transfers to get the blow down in the 20 degree range.
This would give ported saw like port timing without grinding on the cylinder.

I ground the top of the piston by the transfers to adjust blowdown on the Chinese saws I ported because I don't have a tiny angled grinder that will do the tops of transfers, they work fine.
I may end up doing something like that for the transfers. I think that if the transfers are ground up as high as they need to go then they might be too high if the piston is ever changed out.