High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Did these Caber rings pass quality control?

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't seen any like that,
I don't think it would break, but it' discouraging to see that

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's odd how both are in the same spot and how the machine marks are undefined/mushed up to the right of both spots.
Sort of looks galled by dull tooling or something but then it should go all the way around.
Seems like that whole side is not so ductile, more crumbly like 'regular' cast iron, so not just a casting flaw but a big *s-wordty spot in the billet.

I wouldn't chance using 'em...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While its not an ideal situation seeing those faults on Cabers, I don't think performance will suffer. The casting flaw is on part of the ring face and while they both have the flaw, once installed inline with locating pins the faults will be in different locations. But certainly not what you expect from Caber, we seek them for quality not that.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me it looks like a there's difference in material in part of the ring, not just a casting flaw.
Why else would one abruptly defined section of the ring machine so differently from another?
Cast iron that's not ductile is relatively weak and brittle...

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, id send those right back. Literally got 4 sets with some stuff from HL today in the mail.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I zoomed in for a better look on a big screen and now think there's a good possibility its not material related as I had thought but more like something smeared across the face of the rings and mushed the machine marks flat as well as galling it a bit.

caber defect.jpg

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dam Ay needs ta apply faw ayy posishun on there guality control inspecshun personel posishun
91kGbTZyemL._UL1500_.jpg

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used a lot of Cabers and noticed one similar issue on an 064. I always gently flex the rings and inspect em before oiling and installing them. On one, the ring just snapped in my hands worse than cheap chinese rings. I looked and found discoloration at the break point... I assumed casting flaw since the box wasn’t damaged by shipping.

Bought a new set from Dave and no problems since.

They’re still the best AM rings imo, but ya gotta look em over.

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used a lot of Cabers and noticed one similar issue on an 064. I always gently flex the rings and inspect em before oiling and installing them. On one, the ring just snapped in my hands worse than cheap chinese rings. I looked and found discoloration at the break point... I assumed casting flaw since the box wasn’t damaged by shipping.

Bought a new set from Dave and no problems since.

They’re still the best AM rings imo, but ya gotta look em over.

I still use Caber's I just check them really good.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t ever look too closely at anything. You won’t like what you see nearly every time.

I used to think things like this meant one slipped past QC. Now I tend to think QC departments are well aware of most every defect that is possible on their lines and they have already picked and chosen which ones are acceptable or not.

Sometimes what results they deemed acceptable turn out to be real problems and I bet those are somewhat rare if the company had any reputation behind them.

Check everything out with your microscope if you want to but I guarantee you will not like what you find and it will leave even less time for woodcutting.

Maybe try running them? Bound to be many out there like this that have had good success after being installed.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I posted those new hyway rings that came with the pop up kit with a set of cabers. Notice the black spot on the 1 ring. That isnt the hyway. ;)

I cant get good pics like you folks. :eek:

rings54mm.jpg rings54mmm.jpg