11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
xU3Vzyy.jpg
kjtEWUq.jpg
3ua8jgt.jpg
K4tRJ1I.jpg
lcYy3WY.jpg

Cut this much wood. Didn't like the way it was idling, so I shut it down, looked in the spark plug hole and decided to take it apart. Scratches are shallow but can catch feel them with my finger nail. New ported saw ~8 tanks?
Piston shows no scratches. I've been inside a number of two strokes and never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's a new ported saw, I'd think step one should be to contact whoever did the work. Show them the pictures and see what they want to do to fix it.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
JMSSAWS strikes again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like aliens marked your cylinder ?
Edit spelling

Last edited:

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like aliens marked joy cylinder ?
I thought it looked more like gang tags, could be an old MS13 saw, any blood on it....
Definitely odd markings almost appears that the rotating assembly has never made contact with the cylinder wall,but aliens is more likely than that...

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut squish with a mandrel and dragged the cutter on the cylinder 10x while checking the cut?

Who ported it? Might as well have everyone fire their torches back up.

Last edited:

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Cut squish with a mandrel and dragged the cutter on the cylinder 10x while checking the cut?

Who ported it? Might as well have everyone fires their torches back up.

My money was on something similar, I bet they've been there since you got it back. No reciprocating piston could cause marks like that

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My money was on something similar, I bet they've been there since you got it back. No reciprocating piston could cause marks like that
Definitely not reciprocal damage, I was surprised that with 8tanks, the reciprocal action hadn't wiped the marks off a little more, they appeared fairly fresh...

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking who did the work? The port work itself looks pretty neat and those uppers look nice through the port in the picture, so I'm in no way flaming anyone I'm just curious. Obviously if you said JMS I'd tell you to tear it in bits and do a full rebuild, so I pray that isn't the answer I get!

cluckingducks

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm NOT going to reveal the porter. I just wanted some unbiased opinions before I contacted him. What baffles me is that it ran pretty good and most likely still does if I put it back together. Having said that, I distinctly remember an early seventies KX125 that would still run pretty good as long as you were balls out, but wouldn't idle for *s-word. I traded it for a semi auto shotgun and some cash. Was later told that it didn't last much more than a week. I told the guy that it needed rings and to tear it down before much riding. I recall the owners manual said to change rings every two races no matter what.

cluckingducks

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
kha384F.jpg
kha384F

Exhaust side looking through the spark plug hole. Prior pics are of the intake side.

Last edited:

cluckingducks

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Honestly, that was my thought. My other thought was that there was no way somebody could put a saw together and not notice it. I really like to think the best of people, so I'm looking for possibilities that don't involve unethical behavior.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, a mandrel of some kind left that behind, squish cutting, holder for base cutting or old piston for squish sanding.
Looks like it may have been a tight fit and had to be wiggled to get it out and had some chips stuck in there or as already said a cutter with minimal clearance.
Odd that it's only part way down.
Does appear that more than one pass was required as the patterns vary so much.

May or may not be an issue depending on how deep they are.
Being able to feel it isn't encouraging.
Piston doesn't seem to have suffered for it.

Seems like the builder should have been contacted first and this posted publicly only if the response was unsatisfactory or sketchy.

That and out him or don't bait us with this stuff at all IMHO...

Hope you keep us informed of the cause when this gets straightened out at least.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
He put the cylinder on and pulled it off several times with a nasty ring end. I did this may moons ago on a Puch moped jug. The harder plating does not usually scratch. Caber rings are harder than most. The ring would be "fixed" after the first start up. Shame. It will wear in over time. Not the fix but self curing none the less.