Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far the ones I have bought have gone uninstalled as they didn't quite measure up. The pin to crown dimensions we're way off, never even got to checking out the diameter as it was already culled. I would honestly use a FarmerTec or a Hyway piston first. Meteor is a no brainier, always good quality. This being my experience from the rebuilds I've done.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought my Cross Piston looked better than the FT. Windows were finished better, etc.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought my Cross Piston looked better than the FT. Windows were finished better, etc.

Take oem and start measuring and comparing measurements. Not on pure looks alone. FarmerTec looks crude but in every instance has been spot on dimensionally.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can that kind of damage be attributed to an undersized piston or did she snag a ring??

I'll be crossing Cross off the list of potential AM P&C sources... That sucks. How hard is it to make a piston that matches OEM spec for basic dimensions....

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can that kind of damage be attributed to an undersized piston or did she snag a ring??

I'll be crossing Cross off the list of potential AM P&C sources... That sucks. How hard is it to make a piston that matches OEM spec for basic dimensions....
Definitely hung a ring on the down stroke.
Piston slop didn’t help. I widened and flattened the exhaust as well, so.... I could be to blame...
But... nah.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Deal Of The Day HyWay piston going in my 288 looks quite good and is dimensionally identical to OEM in terms of overall height, pin/crown height, ring groove location. The skirt is slightly different, but not necessarily a bad thing. Not all AM is junk. Obviously not all are good either.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m pretty sure cross=farmertec
I got a cylinder/piston from hlsupply that came in plastic marked cross but farmertec was stamped on the cylinder. I also ordered a set of “cross” bearings that came in cross packaging but were marked farmertec on the actual bearing.
I wasn’t exactly happy I got farmertec stuff, I thought cross was supposed to be of higher quality.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Deal Of The Day HyWay piston going in my 288 looks quite good and is dimensionally identical to OEM in terms of overall height, pin/crown height, ring groove location. The skirt is slightly different, but not necessarily a bad thing. Not all AM is junk. Obviously not all are good either.
The quality control is disappointing. You may get a couple good pistons then 5 bad ones.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok... I may get flogged for this...but ....

Everybody's beloved OEM Mahle... it's cast in China. Straight from the lead OPE Engineer for Mahle.

That being said they have stringent QC.

In the case of this particular cylinder...I love the idea. This cylinder ran as good as most ported 066/MS660s I have run. The reality is on the small scale QC is a roll of the dice. I want this to work....but alas it just isn't as "plug and play" a kit as we all would like. I would even venture to say the price of the kit could be raised if the Cross piston was ditched and just sell it with a Meteor piston. Meteor makes tons of piston and not just saws. Let them do what they do and make a package setup. That eliminates one variable... Just my opinion.

When I get this one back in wood I'll let everyone know. Life says it won't be tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are these cyls "choked" ?
Where do you measure in the stroke ?

I see your question has already been answered by smokey7 but I try at top,bottom and center, you won`t be able to measure any choke with feeler gauges. For that you will need bore gauges or a bore mic. Jimmy found that the Cross was around .003 smaller than the Meteor but the Cross had some metal already chafed off and the Meteor was new/unused. Overall the Cross would have been more than .004 smaller than the bore, if I have read his posts correctly.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see your question has already been answered by smokey7 but I try at top,bottom and center, you won`t be able to measure any choke with feeler gauges. For that you will need bore gauges or a bore mic. Jimmy found that the Cross was around .003 smaller than the Meteor but the Cross had some metal already chafed off and the Meteor was new/unused. Overall the Cross would have been more than .004 smaller than the bore, if I have read his posts correctly.
That's correct. I'm scared to post numbers as my measuring devices are not of high quality....well they are the same quality as the parts we are measuring! I think they came on the same boat.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I have several of those Cross P+Cs running, and I like the way they run. Will keep extra pistons in case they fail. Currently have a FT, Meteor, and used OEM, but I think the Cross will last for a while.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is the reason I pay up the money and buy OEM or Meteor pistons, if I can get oem for around 60.00, I go that route, meteor is usually no more then 40.00 shipped, just not worth my time and risk of chewing up a bottom end with using inferior parts, I understand the appeal of buying a cheap kit, often you can get a used cylinder and install a quality piston for very little more, at the end of the day " You get what you pay for".

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
12:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is the reason I pay up the money and buy OEM or Meteor pistons, if I can get oem for around 60.00, I go that route, meteor is usually no more then 40.00 shipped, just not worth my time and risk of chewing up a bottom end with using inferior parts, I understand the appeal of buying a cheap kit, often you can get a used cylinder and install a quality piston for very little more, at the end of the day " You get what you pay for".
+1 on that as well

Aciera

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok... I may get flogged for this...but ....

Everybody's beloved OEM Mahle... it's cast in China. Straight from the lead OPE Engineer for Mahle.

That being said they have stringent QC.

In the case of this particular cylinder...I love the idea. This cylinder ran as good as most ported 066/MS660s I have run. The reality is on the small scale QC is a roll of the dice. I want this to work....but alas it just isn't as "plug and play" a kit as we all would like. I would even venture to say the price of the kit could be raised if the Cross piston was ditched and just sell it with a Meteor piston. Meteor makes tons of piston and not just saws. Let them do what they do and make a package setup. That eliminates one variable... Just my opinion.

When I get this one back in wood I'll let everyone know. Life says it won't be tomorrow.

The real question along with QC is who is doing the casting. A Chinese company or major company with a factory in China.

It’s like when Winchester first made guns in Japan. The company Winchester was there making guns. Not Winchester buying guns from a Japanese company.

But with the QC.....it can be done.

Italian casting........probably some of the best in the world. Ever see the fine casting in a Ferrari or Lamborghini engine.......lots of geometry and it all has to be there.