High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cross Piston vs Meteor

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's correct. I'm scared to post numbers as my measuring devices are not of high quality....well they are the same quality as the parts we are measuring! I think they came on the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lets see the measurements. I use cheap calipers etc and just a redneck hack.

I have some numbers saved on others and would like to compare.

Like this.

This isnt my measuring but like to see the cross one for sure.
Meteor
Stihl 066, MS 660
Replaces Part Number 1122 030 2005
Bore 53.96mm
Height 43mm
Head Type Flat
Piston Pin 12mm x 8mm x 33mm
Rings 54mm x 1.2mm (Caber F-Cast GH.F)
Compression/Pin Top to top of Piston 17mm
Compression/Pin Center to top of Piston 23mm

Last edited:

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Another

I am not the most accurate person and I do not have super pricey digital calibers but this is what I got.

May have a stock hyway saved from a build too. But it started to scuff in a 54mm poulan.

compared to meteor stock 066 piston. (IIIII)

pop up around measuring across 33.30mm

bore 53.96 (53.96)

height to squish outer 42.85mm (43mm) and to top of pop up 43.75

Old wiseco that didnt do so good sold out west at one time.

Not my measurements.

Stihl 066, MS 660
Replaces Part Number 1122 030 2005
Bore 54mm
Rings 54mm x 1.0mm
Height 42.75mm
Head Type Flat
Piston Pin 12mm x 36mm x 7.75mm
Compression/Pin to top of Piston 17.0mm
pin top to top of pop up 17.60 (17mm)

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM pistons are no longer $60, but Meteor is still a great deal.

The Meteor piston, however, will not give you .020 squish with a gasket delete (and I don't have ability to cut this squish band).

I also have not seen much evidence of the Cross Pistons failing, and they seem to run real well. The piston itself was also lighter than OEM, but not the pin. I was also impressed that they were shipped with Caber Rings.

If I encounter any failures I'll report them. I will also recommend running at 40:1 or better to have some oil between the piston + cylinder.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The measurements that are in question are the clearances between the piston and cylinder walls. These clearance tolerances are usually close to horrific in most AM sets with the pistons over loose in the bores, then again a few are too tight. No matter what the tolerances the manufacturers advertise the pistons themselves need to be measured manually when installing them,far too many do not fit correctly.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I want to see measurements myself in

bore skirt side to skirt side
height total
pin top to top p

Guy over at CR says he is seeing some with to thick skirts and hitting. ;)

He says in thread. Will do. Have 2-Farmertec PC, 1-Cross MMWS PC, 1-Raisman PC. I like the Raisman PC the best of all. Have the MMWS on the other 660 have to pull it back down didn't relieve the (Hyway little thicker skirts)piston enough it's hitting crank throws.

Aciera

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been doing business in the Asian Rim for 20 plus years.
CNC machines on dirt floors some times. But putting out product.
He was in the padlock business.
One shipment would be perfect. The next junk.
He is still in business. He worked on QC a LOT.
A young engineer when I first worked with him.

It is possible to get good product out of China but constant QC is needed.

Anyone got an iPhone. Pretty good quality overall.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread Jimmy.

I sure wish QC wasn't so *s-wordty on these things. We have a chance to build higher performing aftermarket stuff......but are being hamstrung by a lack of QC.

@Gentleman have you seen this thread?
Thanks buddy. I really want these to work.. .this one needed love as many others have. I have a clone saw I will not fuel until I go back into it... "Jim Zing".

I checked both this saw (OEM) and my clone and both measured out .019" - .020" squish. Both are ditched gaskets. The clone already had a meteor as I have plans to beat it like a $100 pickup. The OEM saw I'm working on wears a 24" bar and an 8 pin knocking knots and root flares off before the debarker.

I'll measure the piston up with pictures but I really don't think I can provide solid enough measurements to really add fuel to the fight. I know that I crammed a .003" feeler in the wall with the Cross and fought to get .0015 in the Meteor. Pretty sure it's closer to .001".

As for the OEM, I don't know the particulars. Mahle is a tight lipped company and I was hearing from a friend that works more on the motor sports end (NASCAR, Screaming Eagle, etc). He happened to be at dinner with someone from another office at a trade show and he shared that all the castings were done in China. He and I often discuss motors and such as we always have since we were in engineering classes together. I agree QC is the key to making any of these viable. It's the same with any large corporation that is forced to outsource items. I know John Deere and CAT are super picky and will return welded sub assemblies (at the subcontractor's expense) for piddly items such as weld splatter.

Right now I'm not going to dwell on this piston issue.. I'm finishing up saws and trying to get them pushed out. I did 5 Husky 55's last week that have been with me since August. This saw has been with me since Sept. When I find time I'll come back to this.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found my old notes from when I did my first Cross P+C on a 066 (that was still running well). It is still running now with the Cross P+C.

The OEM piston at the base was 2.123, the Cross piston at the base was 2.124. The Cross piston also had wider skirts and was lighter than OEM.

IMO, there was not much to not like about them.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked one a few days ago. Cross 54mm 064bb. A .0015 feeler gauge between the skirt and cylinder prevented the piston from going any further. Tight enough where I lifted the cylinder off the table with it

REFTipoM-355523014.jpg

Attachments

• REFTipoM-355523014.jpg
    REFTipoM-355523014.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 15

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin, I notice the outside of your intake is also not centered. I have had to correct that on 3 of the 4 I have rec'd.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I haven't, I think Al said the squish is tighter with the Meteor, and I have no way of cutting the squish band.

Also have not had any problems with the Cross pistons.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin, I notice the outside of your intake is also not centered. I have had to correct that on 3 of the 4 I have rec'd.
I didn't notice it, but it's now matched to the boot. Stihl boots are never very symmetrical and always have an odd shape to them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, that is what I did, put the boot on and made sure I removed any area of interference. Don't want a "restricted" boot!

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you run it yet with the Meteor piston installed?
How is the squish?
It runs great. Squish was identical Meteor to Cross. I've actually got a complete China Saw setup the same I hoped to get into wood this week but family situation has stopped that.

I like the cylinder and the way the saw runs with it..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OEM pistons are no longer $60, but Meteor is still a great deal.

The Meteor piston, however, will not give you .020 squish with a gasket delete (and I don't have ability to cut this squish band).

I also have not seen much evidence of the Cross Pistons failing, and they seem to run real well. The piston itself was also lighter than OEM, but not the pin. I was also impressed that they were shipped with Caber Rings.

If I encounter any failures I'll report them. I will also recommend running at 40:1 or better to have some oil between the piston + cylinder.

I bought a 044 piston at my dealer for $44 two months ago and a MS650 piston for $56 yesterday from my dealer. Maybe they haven’t raised the prices yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 044 piston at my dealer for $44 two months ago and a MS650 piston for $56 yesterday from my dealer. Maybe they haven’t raised the prices yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be old stock! Around here a 460 piston went from $48 to almost $100.