High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Crank bearings... OEM or Aftermarket?

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have an 046, ms460 and ms361 on the the shelf that all need crank bearings. My question is, is there a source for GOOD aftermarket crank bearings for these saws or should I just spend the cash for OEM?

I want quality bearings that will last, but don't want to spend a fortune if possible.

Thanks,

John

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The flywheel side are 6202 c3, a regular bearing house size at about 5 bucks each. An oem pto side usually doesn't seem that expensive after that. If aftermarket is the only option then try to find a source from Europe for the best quality.

Are the 6202s correct for all 3 saws mentioned?

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need more than one get them from seller shorenuts they have a 2 pack available cheaper.
Just pull the metal seals with a pick and flush the grease out.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM for the PTO side and any good quality 6202 for the flywheel side.

IMHO, you'd have to be nuts to not to go OEM for the PTO side. It's not worth the sub-$20 cost savings for many reasons.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In the nachi spec sheet it has a lower max rpm for the rubber sealed version. Is that just because of the contact rubber seal? Which obviously doesn't matter in our application.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the nachi spec sheet it has a lower max rpm for the rubber sealed version. Is that just because of the contact rubber seal? Which obviously doesn't matter in our application.
Make certain that they are C3 rated bearings. Seal type shouldn't dictate Max rpm.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's the spec sheet I was looking at. It shows different max rpm based on which seal the bearing has. Not specific to the c3 rated bearings.

Attachments

• B3402E.pdf
    254.2 KB · Views: 10

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the 6202s correct for all 3 saws mentioned?
I'm sure you realize that the PTO side is proprietary. It has an extended lip that allows the seal to be retained. You'll need to install the oil pump to get the correct depth of the bearing on the install. I find it to be a good use for the AM cheapo oil pumps. I don't care if they get too hot anyway.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the spec sheet I was looking at. It shows different max rpm based on which seal the bearing has. Not specific to the c3 rated bearings.
I'd guess the contact seals are rated lower due to heat. You'll be pulling the seal anyway so the point is moot.

I normally buy the ZZ metal shielded but not for any particular reason.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd guess the contact seals are rated lower due to heat. You'll be pulling the seal anyway so the point is moot.

I normally buy the ZZ metal shielded but not for any particular reason.
I would say you are correct and as you say it won't matter since the seals will be pulled anyway.

I found this in the nachi catalog.....

"• Bearings exceeding a certain operating speed will begin to create internal heat which may not be controllable.
• Speed limits vary with bearing types, dimensions, lubrication system, internal design of the bearing, and working loads. In addition,
speed limits will vary according to the type of integral bearing seal which may be used (dependent on the speed of the seal contact
area).
•"

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure you realize that the PTO side is proprietary. It has an extended lip that allows the seal to be retained. You'll need to install the oil pump to get the correct depth of the bearing on the install. I find it to be a good use for the AM cheapo oil pumps. I don't care if they get too hot anyway.
Yes I plan to use the nachi bearings for the flywheel side and OEM for the PTO side. I thought I remembered reading about needed to use an oil pump to set the bearing depth. I'll look for a cheap aftermarket pump, unless someone one here has an old housing they would like to sell me cheap.