Couple of Ms261-cm questions.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore down a new 395xp a couple of weeks ago and found a place on the intake skirt about like the one in the OP.

And.....it's one of many I've found over the years.

Just a reminder that no manufacturer is immune to assembly flaws.
Does a scratch on the skirt affect longevity? Do you think the dealer did the right thing, or should they have replaced something?
I'm puttin ya on the spot. Lol

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does a scratch on the skirt affect longevity? Do you think the dealer did the right thing, or should they have replaced something?
I'm puttin ya on the spot. Lol

The scratch will effect nothing. It will stay filled with oil, and ride up and down......

The dealer did what any dealer would have done. Just assured the customer that if it became an issue they would be there for them.

They also realize that unless the rings are effected, or transfer is occurring, there's nothing to worry about.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Good. I didn't know if maybe they should have pulled the jug to check and see if any scoring went on inside?
Thank you sir.

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'll post a video up in the next 15 minutes or so showing the noise I am on about. Thanks for all the advice. I used to work in retail and I HATE going back to the dealership because even though I have spent my hard earned money with them I hate to complain, I need to learn to be less of a pushover lol!

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a video of the noise: First part just shows no issue with engagement. When its running you can hear the alarm clock noise I'm on about?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you taken the starter cover off? Very simple. See if there is anything obvious?

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So it's not a normal noise then. Maybe i'll pop it off now and take a look!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really sure. Saw sounded good though.

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alas nothing obvious! I think I'm just loosing my mind and having one of those "What's that noise" days after the piston. I agree it sounds awesome. Hasn't got any of the spark arrestor stuff in the exhaust either so maybe that's an american thing?

In the UK we have a lot of guys riding round on mopeds at 2am making a tonne of noise trying to show off. Its always a nice feeling when you know the saw is bigger, more powerful and better sounding ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 20

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks OK to me. Good that you took it off to inspect.
I would just run the saw as much as you can in the next few months, and then reinspect everything to see if everything still looks as it does right now. Changing the oil ratio to 40:1 should give you some piece of mind that your getting plenty of oil. Keep the chains sharp and enjoy your nice saw!

Patric Mudge

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well for the sake of 4 screws I would be stupid not too. If I had to take the chain brake lever off it would have been a different situation... Thanks to everyone who replied. I've got about another 30-40 trees to come down (All Elms with dutch Elm disease) and then it will be logging all of those so it's going to get a fair bit of run time in the next month or so! I've already swapped up to 40:1 and I will look into a better oil when I am through with the HP Ultra. If stihl offer additional warranty when you use it then they must have some faith.
This site has a great community and I am glad to be a part of it. Hopefully chip in when I can!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool! Take some videos if you can of the saw running and felling the trees. We love videos here. :)
Safe cutting.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a video of the noise: First part just shows no issue with engagement. When its running you can hear the alarm clock noise I'm on about?

Here’s My Advice to you Sir, put your earplugs in and run that saw till something happens! “ Worry less, Work more”! Regards CatMan

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That’s normal sounding to me. I had a brand new echo 590 with a scratch on the piston just like your saw. It was disheartening but did not affect the saw negatively.

Last edited:

Capp

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a Stihl MS 261 cm yesterday and I have the exact opposite problem. Oil is leaking out of it on the chain side like an old Harley Shovelhead. When I run the saw , oil actually drips off the bottom of the handle. Also with the saw turned off, when I stand the saw on the handle and vertically with the bar pointing up in the air you can actually see the oil dripping out by the chain sides and streaming down the underside of the handle. I am using medium weight Stihl chain oil. I'm taking it back to the dealer today to see what they can do about it. I don't think the oilers on these new 261s are adjustable. I will post an update later ,good luck on on your "too little"oil issue.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a Stihl MS 261 cm yesterday and I have the exact opposite problem. Oil is leaking out of it on the chain side like an old Harley Shovelhead. When I run the saw , oil actually drips off the bottom of the handle. Also with the saw turned off, when I stand the saw on the handle and vertically with the bar pointing up in the air you can actually see the oil dripping out by the chain sides and streaming down the underside of the handle. I am using medium weight Stihl chain oil. I'm taking it back to the dealer today to see what they can do about it. I don't think the oilers on these new 261s are adjustable. I will post an update later ,good luck on on your "too little"oil issue.

If you are running it out of the wood......that is completely normal. The oil slings off the chain inside the clutch cover and runs down......

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It sounds like the clutch drum to me, normal, but you get what kind of Ringing sound out of it on a new saw, Well at least when they’re quiet, no muffler mod you can really hear the ringing sound of the clutch drum,See if the sound changes if you engage the chain break

Capp

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Mastermind. I was running it out of the wood, that does make sense. The tech at the dealer looked it over and apparently there IS an adjustment for the oiler. I guess I should have read the full manual . This 261 is a completely different animal than my 25 year old 025 which served me well. I will get the 025 serviced and keep it for my cabin and quad saw.