Chrome or Nikasil. How do I tell?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the rings different in size between the wiseco & AM kit piston rings meaning you cannot swap em?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nickel is very corrosion resistant. I don't think nickel contains any steel.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Na, just kick start a kangaroo and off we go :)

To be honest, I can't be bothered looking into if for an $80 cylinder.

Still waiting to hear back from farmertec

That's what some guys use. Aftermarket and have them lined instead of cutting on and welding on an expensive oem parts.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nikasil is short for Nickel Silicon Carbide. Silicon carbide is a very hard ceramic (much harder than steel) that can be dissolved in nickel. The nickel solution can then be electroplated onto the aluminium cylinder bore. The piston rings will then rub off the exposed nickel, leaving a very hard layer of silicon carbide to protect the aluminium piston from direct contact with the aluminium cylinder. With this setup, the engine tolerances can be much tighter for better performance. The cylinder must be re-plated after it is re-bored, but Nikasil is extremely durable, so the cylinder does not need to be reworked as often as an iron or chrome cylinder.

I pulled this from Wikipedia, but it mirrors what I learned in a metallurgy class I took a couple of years ago. I tried to forget a lot of that class, but I retained a few things.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nikasil is short for Nickel Silicon Carbide. Silicon carbide is a very hard ceramic (much harder than steel) that can be dissolved in nickel. The nickel solution can then be electroplated onto the aluminium cylinder bore. The piston rings will then rub off the exposed nickel, leaving a very hard layer of silicon carbide to protect the aluminium piston from direct contact with the aluminium cylinder. With this setup, the engine tolerances can be much tighter for better performance. The cylinder must be re-plated after it is re-bored, but Nikasil is extremely durable, so the cylinder does not need to be reworked as often as an iron or chrome cylinder.

I pulled this from Wikipedia, but it mirrors what I learned in a metallurgy class I took a couple of years ago. I tried to forget a lot of that class, but I retained a few things.
Yup

Apparently it's an emulsion and the Nickel is used as the ion to transfer the carbide to the cylinder wall during the electroplating process.

I believe the nickel to be a passive carrier of the Silicon carbide.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would still like to see how its done. At my job we grow nickle plates for my holographic press and pretty much anything that exposed during plating thats metal gets plated