Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks
I am working on my Stihl 094 build and have bought a farmertec 090 cylinder to fit onto an 084 frame.

I also bought a 66mm Wiseco piston to suit and am now a bit worried after reading the piece of paper that is packed with the piston ring

IMG_0938.JPG

I spoke to the fella I got it from and he told me the ring is made for OEM cylinders and he can't guarantee it won't damage the after market cylinder.

I had a look on the farmertec website and can't find any info stating if their cylinders are chrome or nikasil.

How do I tell the difference?
It's not something I have worried about until now as I don't want to risk damaging the piston.
It wasn't cheap!

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question, i dont know that there is a way to tell by looking. You may have to contact farmertec and get the info from them.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi folks
I am working on my Stihl 094 build and have bought a farmertec 090 cylinder to fit onto an 084 frame.

I also bought a 66mm Wiseco piston to suit and am now a bit worried after reading the piece of paper that is packed with the piston ring

View attachment 60519

I spoke to the fella I got it from and he told me the ring is made for OEM cylinders and he can't guarantee it won't damage the after market cylinder.

I had a look on the farmertec website and can't find any info stating if their cylinders are chrome or nikasil.

It's not something I have worried about until now as I don't want to risk damaging the piston.
It wasn't cheap!
a magnet will stick to chrome and not the other from what ive read

Last edited:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the NWP (new west products from taiwan, not the baileys store brand) 090 cylinder is Nikasil, i dont see a determination on the FT cylinder either way
Dave
I saw that noted with a NWP cylinder for sale somewhere online and to be honest, the NWP cylinder in the picture looks bang on identical to the FT cylinder I have.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is Nikasil made from a nickel base material?

It's an alloy, depending on the manufacturer. I was told years ago by a long time bike mechanic that the outer appearance of a chrome cylinder will be lighter than that of a Nikasil cylinder because of the higher temps involved with Nikasil plating, but I don't think that would apply much these days due to the different base alloys that manufacturers are using for cylinders.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks

View attachment 60519

It wasn't cheap!
Call Wiseco.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run those pistons in oem cylinders. Never tried it on an aftermarket yet

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wiseco does have rings for some of their pistons that are steel for use in chrome bores. Those rings typically have "CSM" or "CDM" designations, so you may be able to purchase rings from Wiseco in either of those types if you think your cylinder is chrome.

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that ring choice is very important. Especially when using them in plated bores. Now what I'd likely do is chose a regular cast ring and be done with it. Except weisco usually uses funny size rings.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have contacted Farmertec and asked about what the cylinder coating. Waiting to hear back.

These FT 090 cylinders look identical to the NWP and Lil red barn 090 cylinders for sale, and I am wondering if they are all the same thing being sold by different manufactures.
Farmertec certainly sell them for a lot more than their other cylinders, triple the price of an 070 cylinder which makes me wonder if they are buying them in and re-selling them.

The magnet stuck inside an 084 cylinder, but not inside an 044, 064 or 066 cylinder so I am undecided on the magnet trick of telling the difference