High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chinese Rings vs Caber and OEM

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've been building a bunch of 066's using a single ring hyway piston from hl supply, the black coated ring that comes with it I actually prefer to cabers,after a couple cuts there seated. A caber is a good ring but so are the hyway ones,at least that's my experience with them.

Seating fast is good but what about that ring wearing too fast ?? If a ring seats that fast it's too soft , a good ring should take 10 tanks of fuel to seat if not more .

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's true , I've had real good luck with the Hyway kits from HLS , the quality has really impressed me .......however the rings do not and get replaced with Cabers . Not taking any chances with a new jug and piston for a few extra $$ and the customer doesn't get the say in it .

I used a Hyway MS260 top end. I did not replace the rings. It took a while for the compression to come up, like close to a gallon. So far the kit has worked out good, it is just a little low on power.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you guys know when a ring has "seated" exactly?

Compression comes up, sudden jump in power?

Not trying to be a wise-ass here, really just wanna know.

I just figure that after a few tanks, if the piston and ring(s) still look OK, the rings must be worn in.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I don't really know for sure other then the cranking compression stabilized. I usually do my normal routine to brake them in and assume they are seated by the success of other rebuilds. When I was younger I was told to pull a loaded sled behind snomobile to load the motor more. Bikes was to over gear some saws I push down for heavy load skis is hard to gain heavy load on tho.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think all rings seat quickly,I won't say instantly but close to it.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The other important thing in break in I'd a good bore/hone job using a torque plate for steel or iron cylinders.
I use a dingle berry hone on plated cylinders.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've used a ball hone in every cylinder for the last 10 years.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was taught ball hone not needed in a saw ? just a little 220 grit and wd40 to deglaze the cylinder by hand ? I do not see how a ball hone could hurt one though .

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Since that comment was referring to me... It's not Stuck in my head that OEM is the best out there, if any of you have seen the pictures posted of my 66 Chevy and 64 GMC you'll see a variety of aftermarket(Check out the 292 in my 66....ALL aftermarket.) In the Saw world in my opinion it's hard to beat oem parts. Granted there are some great aftermarket options, but the ones I have seen aren't all that great....in other words...ya get what ya pay for. Some are good....others are junk. Just how it is.....some oem is complete junk to. I prefer oem for my saws....unless it's exterior parts like bars, spikes...mufflers ect, but if others have had good results with aftermarket then Awesome!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im with you i guess tj i like the revolving parts to be oem or atleast a equivalent aftermarket when it comes to the outer parts i see no problem with aftermarket

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since that comment was referring to me... It's not Stuck in my head that OEM is the best out there, if any of you have seen the pictures posted of my 66 Chevy and 64 GMC you'll see a variety of aftermarket(Check out the 292 in my 66....ALL aftermarket.) In the Saw world in my opinion it's hard to beat oem parts. Granted there are some great aftermarket options, but the ones I have seen aren't all that great....in other words...ya get what ya pay for. Some are good....others are junk. Just how it is.....some oem is complete junk to. I prefer oem for my saws....unless it's exterior parts like bars, spikes...mufflers ect, but if others have had good results with aftermarket then Awesome!
Ive had a few 292's
Great running 6cyl.

I can assure you I didn't direct anything towards you,hell I've only read this page of the thread so if you think I was directing it at you it's merely coincidence.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a hyway cylinder MS260 cylinder and after running a gallon of gas through it the compression was still low. It has been on the saw for a couple of years now. I just checked it this week and it was 160. I put used a set of caber rings in a MS390 and after starting it and letting it idle and a few light revs the compression 130-135.