Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- spare chains (2 / saw, in case they get rocked) Yes
- bar nuts (2) Yes
- 'e' clip (they can fly!) Yes
Plus , safety glasses ,ear plugs ,scrench , carb and Phillips screwdriver , wedges ,hatchet ,first aid kit ,and other assorted stuffs . Fits in a plastic tool box that goes into the tractor bucket along with saws ,etc ...
probably overkill . But ,I’d rather have it , and not need it ,than the other way around .

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My tool/parts box is a 50 cal ammo can. Its pretty weather proof and it holds a lot of stuff. It has random fasteners, files both round and flat, screnches also. I always bring 2 saws maybe 3 if I'm going after a big one. I have a couple different length bars and chains behind the pick-up seat. I rarely drive more than 10 -15 miles to cut wood so if a saw goes down no big deal

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a second, third and fourth saw :)

That`s the method I roll with, it saves time not having to refuel saws, gives me a choice of powerhead and bar length, win-win.
Have never lost a bar nut on any saw, never had a muffler come loose, lost screws or had parts fall off. I have the regular tools for saw maintenance and a spare plug, that`s it. What the heck is,rocking a chain, they are not meant to cut rocks so don`t.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I want to try some nice square chain on some euc, but I'm afraid of wrecking a nice square chain...the eucs came off a ranch and I've found big nails and ceramic insulators in them.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut fresh trees from the forest and only hit one metal object in all these years, a fuggin horse shoe. No saving that chain. Cutting trees with metal embedded gets handled by a 24 ton grabber.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of my cutting has been storm / disaster cleanup. Houses, roofs, metal, dirt, flying cows, etc., mixed in with wood debris. And local saw shops stripped clean of any parts following events like these. So we learned to carry basic replacement parts with us. Which is why I started this thread to get ideas.

Philbert

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be one good reason to run/own 4 - 5 of the same model saws like we used to do working from the back woods camps where it could take weeks to get in replacement parts. There were times a saw or two would get used as spare parts and repaired again when parts finally made their way back to the camp. That`s the same reason I own and run multiple same models even today, there are times now where it takes weeks to get parts since Covid the local dealers are having orders take weeks or months with the only word back from suppliers that parts are ,back ordered.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
d11ca49543841702cd34c0cf916d2b74.jpg

8, 8 is enough...
Seriously though, if I'm not just going out for fun and bringing a bunch of saws, it's second saw, set up with a matching B&C. Spare chain, plug, Scrench, files, fuel and oil. That's really about it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of my cutting has been storm / disaster cleanup. Houses, roofs, metal, dirt, flying cows, etc., mixed in with wood debris. And local saw shops stripped clean of any parts following events like these. So we learned to carry basic replacement parts with us. Which is why I started this thread to get ideas.

Philbert
One thing I'll add having carried a small tool tote that holds everything from earmuffs to lubricant for hedge trimmer blades. I had a few little bags inside with spares like spark plugs, starter cord, E-Clips, bar nuts, rim sprockets etc. I've since removed nearly all the spares. Spark plugs get the electrode bashed in over time filters get damaged, files get broken. What I do use a lot though is scrench, T handles in T27/25 T-handle size 8 & 10mm and some basic tools, spare chains, spare bar oil. When I do a tree job multiple saws 2-5 are coming, possibly pole saws, h/held & backpack blower etc. What pays the biggest dividends for me is saws should be properly maintained before they go to work. Air filters cleaned, chains sharpened, topped off with fluids. This is done at the end of the day after using said tool so it's ready to go on its next job. Every spare chain I own is sharpened, labled and filed away in a big draw in an orderly fashion. And that is 1-200 chains. So I go to my chain draw and grab the amount of chains I think each saw might need in a worst case scenario as I've usually seen the job before I go to do the work. So I'm not big on carrying spare parts like fuel filters or anything like that & in years it's served me well. You tend to pack what you need from 'experience' not endless possibilities. If I was doing jobs far away where I was not returning home each day things might change.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to ‘protect’ my spare parts from damage: some corrugated cardboard, bubble wrap, etc. A plastic or metal tool box also helps protect items against damage.

I also figure that most of the spare parts will be used eventually, anyway, so having the ones I might need more often with me is just a matter of convenience - not really an additional cost.

The fuel filters were carried because sometimes we would run into a batch of ‘bad’ gas, that would take all of the saws out of service at the same time.

Philbert

Nathan lassley

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe it's because I often work with groups of volunteers, and when something is not working, . . . . Also, after major storm events, the local stores and dealers are often 'picked clean', leaving some saws idle for want of small parts.

A small box of various screws that fit your saw(s) can also be a lifesaver.

Philbert

I always have miscellaneous screws and nuts because I'm always loosing at least 1 screw. I actually tore down some clapped out husqy and redmax weed eaters from work just for the screws I carry spare spark plugs for every saw, carburetor tuning tools, files, and if I'm fixing up a saw I just bring all of the parts since I like to work off the tailgate.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen guys tear down a saw on a picnic table, and do things I would be cautious about doing in my shop. People have different levels of skill and knowledge, and that should influence what they might bring with them.

Philbert