Chainsaw - Minimum Spare Parts Kit?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guys take multiple saws with them each time that they cut, so that if one saw breaks, or gets stuck, they can keep on cutting. Some guys might swap carburetors or cylinders in the field.

I was thinking about what basic spare parts I like to have for each saw, in case they fail (or get lost) in the field: little things to maintain / keep a saw running, aside from major repairs, and *separate from any tools that you might take each time* (separate thread?).

My list for gas saws (some will depend on the saw - e.g. captive bar nuts are unlikely to get lost, some saws do not have 'e' clips holding on the sprockets, etc.)

- spare chains (2 / saw, in case they get rocked)
- bar nuts (2)
- 'e' clip (they can fly!)
- rim sprocket (or spur sprocket, if so equipped)
- rim sprocket bearing
- air filter
- fuel filter
- spark plug
- chain catcher
- starter rope

Any others? Maybe a spare bar, in case the nose sprocket gets jammed, or to cut a stuck (outboard sprocket) saw out?

These could also be a good add-on sale kit for dealers to offer customers when selling a new saw, along with files, file guides, fuel cans, etc..

Philbert

Last edited:

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Extra bar? In the unlikely event of a chap hit... or bad pinch. I brought one out when I only used one saw, had to use it a couple of times.

Edit--- see that you mentioned bar, so I'm agreeing with you lol.

Also/- those pesky plastic guides for Stihl's? And, if you have a nasty thrown chain or are running a loose chain--- the sheet metal guide plates for saws that use 'em.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never thought about bringing any "parts" to the woods. I do carry two saws though specifically for pinching a Saw. I always have chain with me. Wedges. Files screwdriver scrunch Two pound hammer. There's likely more but I keep all that in a backpack. Maul. Drinking water.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never thought about bringing any "parts" to the woods.
Maybe it's because I often work with groups of volunteers, and when something is not working, . . . . Also, after major storm events, the local stores and dealers are often 'picked clean', leaving some saws idle for want of small parts.

A small box of various screws that fit your saw(s) can also be a lifesaver.

Philbert

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 or 3 saws. Mix, oil, scrench, wedges, hammer/hatchet, chaps, hat, extra chain per saw, file(s), rope. Oh, and teeny flathead for tuning.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe it's because I often work with groups of volunteers, and when something is not working, . . . . Also, after major storm events, the local stores and dealers are often 'picked clean', leaving some saws idle for want of small parts.

A small box of various screws that fit your saw(s) can also be a lifesaver.

Philbert
I didn't intend for that to sound "off" I just honestly never thought of it. I rarely cut with anyone but when I do if someone has Saw issues I always tell them to just use mine. In a large scale cutting type event that you speak of I could certainly see the benefit of having spark plugs screws and a whole toolbox full of randoms

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't intend for that to sound "off" I just honestly never thought of it.
No problem. I am sure that many guys take good care of their personal saws and don't find the need for replacing parts in the field. Some catch things as part of preventative maintenance.

But there is always the saw that won't start, and needs a new spark plug; or bad gas is discovered, where replacing a fuel filter makes a difference. Starter ropes break (and push starting a saw is a b*tch!). I have also had drive sprocket bearings fail unexpectedly.

Again, hoping to focus this thread on spare parts, versus tools, equipment, etc.

Thanks.

Philbert

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mentioned starter rope. Have seen those break just about time you only have one Saw. Maybe a spare length of some of that could come in handy. Electrical tape might be handy. I feel like you've already thought of most anything you could really want to bring with you as far as on the actual job.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wouldn't call grease a part but maybe wouldn't hurt to have in the tool kit Specially if you are gonna replace a bearing

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't carry any parts to speak of. I probably have a spare bar nut or two and a plug in my tool box. Mostly I carry a few chains and additional saws. I staged stuff for a tree job in the morning and it involves about 6 saws, gas, oil, pulley, chain, ropes, climbing gear, ppe, pole saws, and so forth. Doing residential tree work, I'm rarely more than 100' from my truck so my situation is different from some.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one of the problems with carrying spare parts is that there are so many "crucial" parts on a saw that it becomes difficult to account for all of them. plenty of parts exist on a saw that ...without them.... the saw just won't function.

I have had starter switches break in the field, impulse lines crank / fall off, lost chain tensioners, bar nuts ... some parts you'd readily think of, some not

how about oil/gas caps? starter cover screws? ... muffler screws/bolts? and if a muff comes loose, odds are ya mess up the gasket too

the most annoying and least likely to be thought of, i think, has been the chain tensioner bolt that my father has lost on his 257/261. a COMPLETELY FINE PART ....lost..... because the rubber retaining o-ring or whatever its called rots out and disintegrates .... and the tensioner bolt falls right out on the ground. useless saw, can't tension the bar.

had an impulse line on a 350 crack on me one day. didn't have any spare line with me. ...had just about everything else, but no fuel line even. ugh.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pliers are handy to put E clips back on, a small length of wire to grap fuel filters, T-27 or T20/25 if your saw uses them. A small tube of bearing grease. Carb tuning drivers, bar rail scraper. These are just a few that may not have been mentioned.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My list:
Spare saw
Bar nutz
Air filter
Starter rope
Longer bar and a few chains for each one.

When I am cutting with a few friends and they all bring two or three saws each. I usually end up as tractor driver. Most days I'm lucky to go threw one tank of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think as a firewood hack only, it doesn't make sense to perform surgery in the field. I personally test start each saw before I leave home, and always take 2 or 3 saws with me.

I can see taking a spare plug, rim sprocket, and bars/chains to suit. Maybe a couple screws if you really want to. But if one of my saws goes down while I'm making firewood, it goes back in the truck, and I'll figure it out at home.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think as a firewood hack only, it doesn't make sense to perform surgery in the field. I personally test start each saw before I leave home, and always take 2 or 3 saws with me.

I can see taking a spare plug, rim sprocket, and bars/chains to suit. Maybe a couple screws if you really want to. But if one of my saws goes down while I'm making firewood, it goes back in the truck, and I'll figure it out at home.

This is about right for me as well. I like to carry 2-3 because I'm a habitual moron and will usually get a saw punched at least once an outing [emoji23]

If I bring anything extra its bar nuts...which goes with the moron side because once they fall in the leaves they gone.

Other than that I just do files, chains, and scrench. And plenty of gas and oil.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one of the problems with carrying spare parts is that there are so many "crucial" parts on a saw that it becomes difficult to account for all of them. . . .

I have had starter switches break in the field, impulse lines crank / fall off, lost chain tensioners, bar nuts ... some parts you'd readily think of, some not

how about oil/gas caps? starter cover screws? ... muffler screws/bolts?
Exactly.

Which do you choose? Which are worth carrying?

If your saw, or the model of saw that you use, has a history of losing muffler bolts (for example) then it might make sense to pack a couple of those in your kit. No point in carrying bar nuts if all your saws have captive nuts.

If you have several saws that share parts, it is easier to pack a few (like fuel cap 'O' rings). That is one reason why groups that have multiple saws, like to standardize on a few models of a single brand - shared parts.

I had a chain tensioner fail on me away from home, and the local STIHL dealer tell me that 'it will be about a week' (!). Took that saw out of commission for the rest of the trip.

I am less likely to replace fuel lines and impulse hoses away from home, unless I have a clean place to work. But again, some guys may be willing to split a case, or do a muffler mod on a picnic table!

Pliers are handy to put E clips back on, . . .
We are slipping into the 'tool' area here! But it sounds like you need to learn the 'trick' of using the round part of the scrench to slide the sprocket 'e' clip back in place (the hole completely surrounds the clip, and keeps it from flying).

Philbert

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about this and from a little more of a shop with project saws perspective. I have A few old saws to maintain and some projects. Trying to put together an order after I discovered I lost a top cover screw on my nice new to me 2166. I was gonna borrow one from another saw but they’re all bunged up and then I have projects that need them too.

Sooo...fuel line, filters, carb kits? Or they go bad?

Various Screws...

spare parts saws can be nice, lifesaver really, but then as was the case with the screws, some things tend to go bad on all of them.

Back to In the field, How about oil pump drive worms?

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is about right for me as well. I like to carry 2-3 because I'm a habitual moron and will usually get a saw punched at least once an outing [emoji23]

If I bring anything extra its bar nuts...which goes with the moron side because once they fall in the leaves they gone.

I no longer feel alone!

The other day I thought I was going to need the metal detector to find the scrench in the leaves.