Carb leaking fuel

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
12:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My one mac d44 carb is leaking fuel from around the fuel inlet part. I replaced the gasket. It had a rubber looking one and the gasket kit i have has a corque gasket in it.
What else should I try. Little moto seal around the edge? I kmow thats not propper but im out of ideas. Maybe make a rubber one from an inner tube?
515f4e321d4e904e62a1375848cc9834.jpg
f530da0d84208cae9ed1a59eef8ecd87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a long time since I tried it, but seems like inner tube material was bad to swell and fester from exposure to gasoline.

Has the plastic piece (or carb body) deformed any and perhaps letting the center bolt bottom out before the gasket is sufficiently squeezed?

Is there any chance you can get a strait edge or flat surface in position to check the sealing surfaces for flatness?
If so, can you do a tiny bit of lapping to them if needed to get them back flat?
Otherwise I'd be looking for any cracks or pitting or excess clearance around the bolt.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s worth taking the time to find the cause rather than put a bandaid over it. Put it together and use a mityvac and out some air in it, find exactly where it’s leaking with a tiny bit of soapy water on fine paint brush and then when you’ve found it, mark it with a marker. It could be a crack from over tightening it. A better fix may be something like carefully melting the crack (basically plastic weld) and do a proper job. It’s old plastic - look for cracking. Don’t over tighten it.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats exactly what i did. I hooked the mighty vac to it after putting the new corque seal in to see that it was leaking around the plastic fuel inlet part in the pics.
I even tried a second new seal and still leaks.
I then decided to post hear. I ended up putting a little bit of moto seal around the edge of the plastic intake and seams to be sealing good now. I do realize this is far from a propper fix bit the mac d44 is not my everyday saw lol. That thing is heavy as heck. Just a play toy saw.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and ther are no cracks in the plastic fitting. But it does seem to have a slight warp to it which is my guess why it may be leaking. I also thought it would straighten out when tightened? I looked on ebay to see if i could lacate another carb or that part with no luck.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ask around, there are lots of old HL carbs laying around and most all of them had that same nylon inlet fitting.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna stop at the saw shop sometime and see if they have one.
I did find a similar one here but i thing the fuel inlet is in the wrong spot and dont have the clearance for the fuel line. Think it came off an old 1-41 mac.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna stop at the saw shop sometime and see if they have one.
I did find a similar one here but i thing the fuel inlet is in the wrong spot and dont have the clearance for the fuel line. Think it came off an old 1-41 mac.

That is why I posted that many will fit, did not want to say that all would , there was a lot of older saws that used the HL carbs, all of the 600 series Pioneers did and they have that same fuel feed cap/fitting.