Came across some cherry today....

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I came across some cherry today it was too curved to send to the mill so the tree service let me have it. Unfortunately since the Big saw is being worked on all I have is my little Echo 310 with a 16 inch bar. So I did what any other addicted person would do and I rented the biggest saw the big-box stores had.20160416_112411.jpg
With the 20 inch bar the biggest piece I could mill was only 13 inches so it wasted quite a bit of the wood but Beggars can't be choosers and I'd rather have a few slabs of smaller wood then no wood at all....

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have any suggestions for trimming the logs down to size before milling them? Ive been doing it by eye and it hasnt been the cleanest process...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lay an extension ladder on top screwed down on both ends for longer logs. For shorter ones like you've got there, screw down a 2x8 laid flat and shim up the low spots. Set the mill height lower than your screws and start cutting

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant for cutting it down to the mill size the logs are like 22 inches but my maximum Mill size right now is 12 so I have to cut them down to about 12 before I could even start to use the mill on them

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have one yet. But I sure like seeing what people find in the wood. I'll be buying one soon enough. That's too bad about the rental saw. I know I saw in another post your big saw was in the shop. Hopefully it gets fixed up soon so you can cut at full width.

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the feeling. My neighbor had some ash dropped by the power company. Bdh was probably 5-6ft on the bigger one. They didn't even cut up the trunk. Bright in a crane and hauled it out on a flat bed probably to the dump. Would have loved to cut it up but just wasn't equipped. Found a lot of figured wood in the peices that I got so I could only imagine what the trunk would have looked like. Just a shame to see stuff like that go to waste.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chris sent me a beautiful bowl he made. He should post pics of his work.....hint hint.