Big Tree!

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A tree service has been widling on this tree for the past week by my brothers house. It's a Silver Maple, I stand 6 ft tall so I'm guessing the tree is 9 ft or so at the widest point. Just figured I'd share.

image.jpeg

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A tree service has been widling on this tree for the past week by my brothers house. It's a Silver Maple, I stand 6 ft tall so I'm guessing the tree is 9 ft or so at the widest point. Just figured I'd share.

View attachment 28375

Holy chit!!! Thanks for posting...that's fun to look at. I'd like to see some pics as you finish it up. Maybe get a measurement of the diameter after it's cut down.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
They must have built the house with the roots of that tree very close !

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy chit!!! Thanks for posting...that's fun to look at. I'd like to see some pics as you finish it up. Maybe get a measurement of the diameter after it's cut down.

To be clear, I'm not doing any of the work on that thing. Considering the massive amount of metal that is probably hiding in it I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it. Although, it would be fun to bury the 084 into!

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a big saw playground right there :)
you could easily justify getting the big bars out to make cookies out of that monster

088/880
P62
1201 Echo
166 Dolmar

too bad that big old stump isn't laying down in my backyard

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are metal detectors sensitive enough to check a big tree like this for bits n pieces of homeowner supplied danger in a yard tree?
I have a big maple coming down as soon as the ground freezes this winter and we are going to try to keep the bottom of the trunk in one big piece for slabbing.
Dave

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's a great question! I was looking online and it seems like depth detection is around one foot or a little bit more. This baby appears to be a little over 2' in diameter so that may be an issue haha.

I don't know if bouncing the signal through wood would have more or less effect on that depth though. I would think starting at the top and working your way down and doing successive scans would be the best way to go.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. True on that. The day would be over by the time you got done sharpening the chain.