Best/Worst/Most Suprising Chainsaw You’ve Bought or Ran

Cmarti

Old Poulans make me smile
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best: Poulan 3400 and 3700 after muffler mods they burp like an old dirt bikes, kept me in fire wood for decades. Not fast, but never bog......don't laugh
Worst: Ryobi 10519, 46cc air leak. It was worth what I paid for it....nothing
Most surprising: Ryobi 10532 Redmax clone, always runs...don't laugh

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best/most fun: MMWS MS880. I had run stock 3120 and 880 and 395’s. The day I bought it I sunk it in the log on the first test cut and it jerked me up on my toes. I never should have sold it, but I had other stuff I needed more.

Worst: The 288XP I bought “rebuilt” with oem
Parts in Kentucky. Before I was a member here and didn’t know what to look for. Started and ran good in the shop and for 2 test cuts. 10 minutes into the first tree the trigger kept slipping over the carb leg. Figured out it was missing a screw. Fixed that, 10 more minutes and the “new “ coil died. Fixed that and while it was down I figured out it had a chinesium P&C on it. Bastard would not start hot no matter how much I sweet talked it or cussed. I sold it at a big loss being honest about the problems and never looked back. *f-word that guy that sold me that piece of *s-word.

Most surprising: 24 year old MS250 that my old man gave me because I needed a small saw for my ground guy and for in the tree when the 194 won’t get it. I cleaned the carb so it would run, did a muffler mod, removed the limiters and set it on kill. I fully expected it to let go within a couple days. It’s still running strong 2-3 days a week after 4 months.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worst has to be my old mans 46cc craftsman wearing a 20” bar. Knowing what I know now, if it had a 16” bar it might have been ok. My first saw I bought was a stihl ms180c and I loved it. It’s the only thing with an engine I kept for over 10 years.

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My worst saw was a little Chinese saw called Pinty aweful
the best saw is my Sthil MS380 Magnum clone AWESOME running saw

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most disappointing saw: Sachs Dolmar 116si--Perhaps it was me but it stayed in the shop more than in wood & I just never got the hang of that saw.

Most surprising saw - MS 250 stock...was a surprisly great little saw and I cut some big wood with it, using an 18 in bar. Would've been better with a 16 bar though.

Most reliable saw: My rebuilt 044 which I hate I sold & my current MS 261c easily the most dependable saw.

Honorable mentions: An 034 & MS 390 with muff mod.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One that surprised me the most was one I built up from a wrecked saw .It was a wrung out badly abused Stihl 034 ,tree service saw .Rough as a cob, piston cylinder gone .A guy sent me an 036 cylinder and I bought a Meteor piston with Caber rings and found enough plastic to cover it up .Although I only used it for less than a day before passing it on it turned out great .So great on my to-do list I have an 034 super which essentially is an 036 and when I find the time build up another one .This one I might give it the treatment IE modify it .In the last several years I've restored a few from junkers but it's been some time since I've modified one .I'll bet I can still do though .:)

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most disappointing saw: Sachs Dolmar 116si--Perhaps it was me but it stayed in the shop more than in wood & I just never got the hang of that saw.

Most surprising saw - MS 250 stock...was a surprisly great little saw and I cut some big wood with it, using an 18 in bar. Would've been better with a 16 bar though.

Most reliable saw: My rebuilt 044 which I hate I sold & my current MS 261c easily the most dependable saw.

Honorable mentions: An 034 & MS 390 with muff mod.

Wow, I'm really surprised the 166si was disappointing. There are usually a very
good saw. I have a couple as well as the 120si and they are my go to saws.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, I'm really surprised the 166si was disappointing. There are usually a very
good saw. I have a couple as well as the 120si and they are my go to saws.
You mean 116si?
It was mostly me...never got acclimated to it.
The guy I sold it to, fixed it 15 minutes and it ran like a scalded dog!:BangHead::crybaby2::cunaooooo::cunaooooo:, BUT I got his 044 on the cheap...we both were happy campers!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only experience with the SD 166 is with two Kevin had and one was as old school Varney hottie .That thing had a carb you could drop a golf ball through .Talk about power ,wow .I ran it at Chardon Ohio against some who ran the Stihl timber sports .The times weren't bad, the operator was--me .
My only comment with regards to the big boy was it was as ungainly as a bowling ball on the end of a broomstick compared to a Stihl 084 . That I'd imagine is just perception of the operator .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 264763
I have a 361 as well and have no complaints. Very nice, smooth running saw..
Last week I loaned my 361 to a tree service company with my fingers crossed. I also loaned them my Husky 257. The owner told me yesterday that the 361 blew away the 257 when it came to power. Both saws were using 20" bars and new chains. They were removing a big ash tree that required a 661 at the bottom of the trunk for felling.

I still use the 257 to extend the life of my 361. Not sure why.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not out all the models I own the t525 husky has given me zero issues in the last two years. I just love it. It feels like it weighs 5 pounds. Throttle response is quite impressive, air filter is super easy to clean.
I put it in my cargo box on the truck, one handing larger branches for firewood seriously goes double fast compared to a two handle model.
Pulls a 12” full comp low pro no problem. Chain always stays super sharp because of the oiler on this thing. It really is hands down the most useful saw of the lot lol. I probably have 30 tanks through it so far.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worst saw I have ever owned was probably the poulan 3314 strato or the poulan pro strato (yellow from 2016).
Never ever got them to tune right, throttle response was usually terrible with an idle that was bouncing all over the place.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Best: @Canadian farm boy 's 462 hybrid - awesome saw!
Worst: 1977 plastic Remington Mighty Mite - just junk
Most surprising: 1983 154se with some mods - super fast little saw.
Ive never seen or touched the 77 and newer Mighty Might saws. All mine are 1976 on back and magnesium saws. I had 7 or 8 at one time. Neat little saws. 76 was the last year of the original mag cased versions.