Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
I know most of you chainsaw junkies probably don’t make it over to the tool thread often enough to catch the people I need...

Who’s got information on the Barshop tool for working on chainsaw bars? Specialty Tools doesn’t seem to have the info posted about them any more and the internet isn’t yielding much off google besides a few pics and videos.

Just got this one and have 50/50 on keeping it... it’s not 100% but the motor spools up nice and smooth and it seems functional if nothing else. I’m seeing my guards are mia and there must have been other attachments on fancier models. Any thoughts or info appreciated!

e6f1556fec23990af0224b4384de5b1f.jpg

3ce479b43c246387fc1237901fe3e828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one but I need to build the base for it...any chance you could PM me some pics of how the unit attaches to the grinder?

I have turned mine on but haven’t gotten any further due to the base issue.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one but I need to build the base for it...any chance you could PM me some pics of how the unit attaches to the grinder?

I have turned mine on but haven’t gotten any further due to the base issue.

I can but most of the pics I’ve seen operate on a latch to swivel it. The whole unit just sits on the stand via 2 “U-shaped” cradles. Then you open and close a bale/latch on the leg to tilt it 90*...

I don’t know if I have the room to keep this unit in my shop so it may travel with me to a GTG to find a new home...

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rich the chainsaw guy in Oregon has one, and would be able to tell you what you need to know if Dave doesn't know.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does it do that a mill bastard file wouldn't do? I don't get it. (No surprise there.)

Grinds bar groove deeper on old bars and while a old bastard file is ok... that Baldor goes to work on squaring the rails. People have also used them to oversize bar slots from 0.050 to 0.063 etc...

I guess it’s the difference between towing with a v8 1/2 ton or towing with a diesel 3/4 ton... either gets the job done but which is easier, faster, better?

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grinds bar groove deeper on old bars and while a old bastard file is ok... that Baldor goes to work on squaring the rails. People have also used them to oversize bar slots from 0.050 to 0.063 etc...

I guess it’s the difference between towing with a v8 1/2 ton or towing with a diesel 3/4 ton... either gets the job done but which is easier, faster, better?
The bar shop is hands down a bad azz tool for older bars.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rich the chainsaw guy in Oregon has one, and would be able to tell you what you need to know if Dave doesn't know.

Dave’s ears definitely aren’t burning... no call back... yet... big brother... where are you... no sausage cornbread for you Dave... o-h-i-o, you mean O - H -oh - NO!!!!???!!! LoL...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can but most of the pics I’ve seen operate on a latch to swivel it. The whole unit just sits on the stand via 2 “U-shaped” cradles. Then you open and close a bale/latch on the leg to tilt it 90*...

I don’t know if I have the room to keep this unit in my shop so it may travel with me to a GTG to find a new home...

If you get some time shoot me a few pics of how it works. I gotta get some steel and get fabbing

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get some time shoot me a few pics of how it works. I gotta get some steel and get fabbing

Shaun car made a rail cutter a while back that works about the same. Honestly people whine about not having wheels but a little fab goes a long way... Shaun has been known to make interchangeable arbors in order to make common grinding wheels fit older machines. Shaun is the customizer...

There are several videos on YouTube of a bar shop... not that hard to replicate if you have the time and metal working skills. The bar slot wheel height was controlled by shims of varying thicknesses to adjust in and out. The rest is just using a 1/2hp baldor motor with flush and 90* plate steel to run your rail grinder and slot grinder from either end. They did design the bar shop to flip 90* for each operation. I’ve heard people have tried to widen bar grove thickness with them but have shot the bar across the room based on too much grinder power and too much drag in the bar groove.

If I were fabbing one from scratch I’d make it 20-30% smaller. It’s nice to have the size for big bars but floor space is an issue for me.

Last edited: