Bars. Sprocket tip or Hard nose

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am just curious to hear the differences between sprocket tip and hard nose bars.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Which bars last longer. Which bars cut better?
I have had both and haven't really noticed the differences. But it seems like today, all bars utilize the sprocket tip.
Let's hear it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dirty wood killed the early versions of sprocket tips I'm told.
Hard nose bars will last longer in muddy cuts.
Hard nose works better than a sprocket tip in water and is easier to clean. They work well on tree roots. Use the tip. I own one 3003 mount Sugi 72dl3/850.
It gets used very little use.

If you run the chain tight on a hard nose you will melt everything including the main bearings.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thanks guys. Just more curious than anything. [emoji106]

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Main pros I see are:
Sprocket tip has less parasitic loss/drag.
Hard nose is universal across all pitches.

I have only ever used sprocket tipped bars and don't really seem to have any issues.

I now also have a single hard nose in my arsenal but haven't ran it yet.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are distinct advantages of 'lifting' the chain up around the nose with a sprocket. However in few situations having a sprocket on the nose can cause problems. For all round work a sprocket nose is a better choice IMO. But having a hard nose or two for certain jobs is not a silly idea.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the 'old days' bars had larger diameter noses to reduce friction. However that meant larger (heavier) bars and increased risk of kickback (as we learned about that).

Roller noses were an earlier attempt to reduce friction, transferring the pressure onto bearings, but they had failings; easily clogged, due to 'open' design, and easily broken, due to the way they were attached to the bar.

Current sprocket noses are stronger and more protected than roller noses. Easily replaced when worn or damaged if 'RSN' (replaceable sprocket nose) style bar.

Advantage of hard nose bars would be for exceptionally dirty cutting (tree stumps, railroad ties) or holding up to abuse, IMO.

Philbert

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe one of you hardnose bar users can throw up a pic of a properlied set up please?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
they look tight, but roll freely round the bar. they'll hang lil lower when warm. need good oiling.

Thanks, I was picturing the chain hanging a little lower. I have a 20" bar and some .404 skip that I've been wanting to try on some dirty stuff.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Living in a country with small if any items except the oems i can say that between Oregon and Stihl, I trust the Stihl products.

So i use DUROMATIC & the Es light bar at 661 and rollomatic at 261 and roll light at 201tcm.

I don’t feel undergunned by Stihl products actually i think ES light must be the best in that category.
But I have no problem to go out in the woods with my DUROMATIC which i really trust combined with RD3 chain for hard use of dirty stuff and dirty thoughts!