Bar oil

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will not buy bar oil at 12 or over, kinda hard to even find anything at 6.99 anymore. most of the stuff isn't anywhere near what it was a few years ago. pours like water and about the same sticky wise, i can remember pouring bar oil in midsummer that would have stringers blowing in the breeze as you stopped pouring. for all the good it doesn't do might just as well buy the cheaps brand 10w30 pours and works about he same. I have been on the hunt for good tacky bar oil at a reasonable rate , wishful thinking. Thinking will have to have made to my liking by one of the smaller suppliers more than likely over my 12.99 limit per gal. The way oil I use on my machines runs about 25/gal , and that stuff does stick.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will not buy bar oil at 12 or over, kinda hard to even find anything at 6.99 anymore. most of the stuff isn't anywhere near what it was a few years ago. pours like water and about the same sticky wise, i can remember pouring bar oil in midsummer that would have stringers blowing in the breeze as you stopped pouring. for all the good it doesn't do might just as well buy the cheaps brand 10w30 pours and works about he same. I have been on the hunt for good tacky bar oil at a reasonable rate , wishful thinking. Thinking will have to have made to my liking by one of the smaller suppliers more than likely over my 12.99 limit per gal. The way oil I use on my machines runs about 25/gal , and that stuff does stick.
Tractor Supply has decent prices,

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just stock up on about every type of oil when it goes on sale .At Menards it was this spring for bar oil but now going into traditional fire wood cutting time it will rise .I however am non traditional I cut in the heat of summer when most don't . I'm not fur clad like a polar bear and spent a good portion of my working life in the cold and have no intention of doing that again .

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still running my swill pail deluxe mix of random new atf, engine oil, and some gear oil all sloshed together. When that fails I have 6 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid, and when that's gone I'll have to see about buying some real bar oil. In the meantime, my cheapazz stuff works just fine.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hd is supposed to have some other bio stuff other than dewalt's, pricey haven't tried it yet .

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bel-Ray has been around for years, but B&C oil for them must a new offering.

My $.02 on other stuff earlier in this thread: (1) I'd get my oil at TSC in February when it goes on sale. (2) The label on the container does not always reveal the original maker of the product. Case in point: I once had the need to research premix fuel and had to dig up all the MSDS for Husky/Stihl/Echo offerings. It appeared that Husky made their own in NC, but that echo and Stihl got their from competing companies in LA that were across the road from each other. (3) IIRC, the winter-grade Stihl B&C oil was REALLY sticky.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Belray Hi-Tac bar and chain oil $8.99/gal. through 12/11/2023 at Menard‘s. Never heard of it before.
It's pretty thick oil. I bought 4 gallons from Menards about a month ago. I used one gallon and IMHO it's good oil! It's too cold this time of year to use it without thinning it out.
Belray Hi-Tac bar and chain oil $8.99/gal. through 12/11/2023 at Menard‘s. Never heard of it before.

Attachments

• 20231201_121330.jpg
    20231201_121330.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During the late 70's early 80's I' ve remembered it being so cold I had to use automatic tranny fluid for bar oil ..I didn't normally cut in those temperatures .However at 10-15 below those saws would really sing in that cold oxygen rich air .

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This stuff flows very well in cold temps, but $32 a gallon. I have been experimenting in one saw with it and it hasn‘t gummed up after sitting for more than a month. I know that‘s all they can use in Europe. Yet they could care less about a spark arrestor on the muffler...E8B4AF05-850E-499A-98B6-F187A1BF93C0.jpeg

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This stuff flows very well in cold temps, but $32 a gallon. I have been experimenting in one saw with it and it hasn‘t gummed up after sitting for more than a month. I know that‘s all they can use in Europe. Yet they could care less about a spark arrestor on the muffler...View attachment 399075
Yea , that’s for the rich loggers , Lol