Baby boomers and saws

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trades seem to be making a comeback as far as desirable careers go, at least around here. If my kid wants to be a plumber/electrician/whatever I will totally support that. If it doesn't work out she can always try something else.

Interestingly, I made the switch from a tradesman to an academic line of work. I was a car mechanic for my first career. I loved learning how to take care of cars and took pride in my work. The skills and knowledge I gained still serve me well today. The problem is, you will never amount to much in that trade if you are not willing to switch jobs contstantly. I hate changing jobs, consequently employers always viewed me as someone who would eat sh!t with a smile. I decided that if I wasn't going to earn much I wanted an easy job with good benefits so I took an office job with our state government. Throughout my working life I was a part time college student and earned a B.A. and M.A. in History, something I have always loved. This, plus my experience working with government records, allowed me to find a full time job as an archivist which I still hold today and plan to retire from.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some how you have to find something you can make money at you don't mind doing .To tell the truth I'm a mechanic/machinest trapped inside an electricians body .For the simple reason I understand it while most people don't plus it's easy and pays a good wage . That plus the fact I'm so ornery I could baffle the hell out of people if I wanted to and they would have no idea if I'm telling a BS story or not .I only do that as a joke .I'm really pretty much straight up unless somebody really pisses me off .Then game on .
I'll hang it up about end of June first of July .I could go on until I'm 80 but at over 70 I have to tap into 3 401 K's and they are going to eat me alive in taxes if I don't retire .What the hey,foxy 70 year old high school cheerleader who still looks good .Enough money to last the rest of my life,why not go for it ?

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brown and Sharpe for well over a half a century was based in Providence, Rhode Island. In the mid 60’s or late 60’s I believe they moved to nearby New Kingstown. If anybody is familiar with the trade they know the quality of Brown and Sharpe. I’m one of the young “whippersnappers” but I have a deep sense of appreciation for history. In this trade you’ve had two names above all others for hand tools and measuring tools. Brown and Sharpe being one of them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In this trade you’ve had two names above all others for hand tools and measuring tools. Brown and Sharpe being one of them.
----and L.S Starrett is the other. BTW I have both my great grandfathers 0 to 1's and my fathers Plus my dads oak tool box with his journeymans card in it .I was the only one in something like 150 years who didn't follow in my fathers foot steps but it's in my blood .

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
----and L.S Starrett is the other. BTW I have both my great grandfathers 0 to 1's and my fathers Plus my dads oak tool box with his journeymans card in it .I was the only one in something like 150 years who didn't follow in my fathers foot steps but it's in my blood .
I’d love to see a photo of your fathers tool box. Is it by chance a Gerstner?
The older machinists like your father and your grandfather, they were brilliant. What they did on a daily basis would’ve been impressive. My day is simplified by calculator, software, etc. I still know my formulas but the older generations were truly “machinists” in every sense of the word. It’s all I’ve ever done, therefore I have a deep appreciation for those that came before me and put in their time.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've take a pic in a day or two.I'm basically self taught but it goes back to about 15 years old on an old Southbend with a 5 gallon bucket full of change gears .It

comes easy to me so much so my dad was amazed .Add on top of that I was turned down from a toolmakers apprenticeship over 50 years only to hired in as a journeyman electrician 24 some years later .They actually did me a favor financially .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I decided to take a pic .I don't think it's a Gerstner .The set of trammels were made by my great grandfather and might have been made in England .They are well over 100 years old .Dads journeymans card DSCN0252[1].JPG DSCN0253[1].JPG card ,most likely around 1946 .

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going through this currently.

Grandfather born in 1942 passed away last year.

30 years skilled trades for gm, and 50 years living at the same house.

https://www.sheridanauctionservice.com/project/details/31024/

(Click view catalog to view the lots)

Decided to auction everything off.

I already have everything and more tool wise related to my interests. Same with my father. So this would just be more stuff sitting around.

Lots of stuff that probably should be kept, but at what point do you move stuff down the road? Most everything hasn't been touched in 10+years some 20,30,40 lol.

Not every day you come across a pile late 60's early 70' olds 455,400,350's

Bit do you just sit on the stuff another 30 years because you might use it?

Not a fun spot to be in that is for sure.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my customers is a Generation X tree remover and recently traded me even up my Stihl MS 290 that I never liked for his 028 Super than was in mint condition. He had bought the 028 from a baby boomer. I tried to explain to him that the 028 is no longer made. but it was in Stihl's professional line. That meant nothing to him. He wanted the newer saw.

Yes, I have some new models in my artillery, but the older saws usually run right with them and never complain. It kind of reminds me of the CW song, "Ronnie McDowell's Older Women (1981)":

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 290 story .My neighbor let his buddy use his Makita( Dolmar) which came back broken .So he bought a used although in nice shape 290 but *b-worded it just didn't have the guts of the old Dolmar .I turned him on to Scott,chainsawr where he bought another crankcase and I changed it out for him .As far as I know that Stihl has sat unused since .A 290 is what it is ,cuts wood ,not a hot runner and never will be .