Baby boomers and saws

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I listened to an interesting podcast talking about the population of baby boomers and the possessions they own. I know first hand most of my generation (im 31) is not interested in used items what so ever. I know my dad is 65 and like some of you probably ,the amount of tools and "stuff" he has is overwhelming haha. Where will all this stuff end up? Will the market be flooded with tools and gear that no one wants? Piles of chainsaws? Just a random paranoid thought.... What do you guys think?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 33 and hope this stuff ends up in flea markets. I like buying used, to me if it has lasted this long then it has proven it' worthiness. And in my area I have seen an influx of antique stores opening in town and hope this is where some of this stuff lands and not in a trash can.

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 33 and hope this stuff ends up in flea markets. I like buying used, to me if it has lasted this long then it has proven it' worthiness. And in my area I have seen an influx of antique stores opening in town and hope this is where some of this stuff lands and not in a trash can.
I like used as well. Nothing is ever perfect with it but that's fine with me. In the blink of an eye new becomes used anyhow.

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy very few things new. While I'm not a fan of old heavy vibey chainsaws, old stationary wood shop and machinery tools are generally much better than current Taiwanese options. Most of the stuff in my woodshop is older than me and will probably outlast my kids with very little maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am 59
Never bought a new personal car/truck for myself.
I find lawnmowers on the roadside before trash pickup day, usually a carb clean then sell them to neighbors.
Older tools and machinery are usually built better/heavier and rebuildable .

I like old stuff and i try to show these young whippersnappers to buy quality and learn to maintain it. It will last
Buy once, cry once you will be using it while other people are spending money replacing junk with junk.

That and i like to show them a well used saw then fill their sandals with a shower of wood chips.
Gittin old ain't for sissies!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 70, I've got tools my grandfather used, quality steel and precision made. I have an old Boy Scouts knife in my truck that was made in 1923. I've got lots of old nuts and bolts I salvaged from old projects, sometimes I can remember where they came from (hmm, Honda 50, 1964-65).

When I go I don't know who will get my quality tools, but I expect they will be passed on to their sons.

oologahan

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sad thing really is that most (not all) millennials have no use for old tools, want to use them or will buy them. So yes, many may end up in flea markets, but I think the decision makers in 10-20 years will scrap them more often than not because of a lack of interest. If you want to get in on the bottom floor of a hot item in the future collect old playstations and xboxes now, many millenials live inside a virtual reality box and that won't change.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sad thing really is that most (not all) millennials have no use for old tools, want to use them or will buy them. So yes, many may end up in flea markets, but I think the decision makers in 10-20 years will scrap them more often than not because of a lack of interest. If you want to get in on the bottom floor of a hot item in the future collect old playstations and xboxes now, many millenials live inside a virtual reality box and that won't change.

I have seen this very thing locally where a retiring machinist is looking to trade his high quality tools for the very things you mentioned. Starret, Brown and Sharpe, Helios and even Mitutoyo will be distant memories for a population that knows next to nothing about manual trades.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pulled the 1923 Boy Scouts knife out of the truck. It was made by 'Imperial' in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. - Is anything made in Providence, Rhode Island today?

That knife will take an edge and hold it. The hinges are as tight as the day it was made. The leather awl for tightening the harness on a horse may be a bit out of date, but the rest of the knife makes it a 'keeper'. - and to think it was a 'kids' knife.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pulled the 1923 Boy Scouts knife out of the truck. It was made by 'Imperial' in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. - Is anything made in Providence, Rhode Island today?

That knife will take an edge and hold it. The hinges are as tight as the day it was made. The leather awl for tightening the harness on a horse may be a bit out of date, but the rest of the knife makes it a 'keeper'. - and to think it was a 'kids' knife.
@RI Chevy Maybe you can help with a little bit of RI history and such?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen this very thing locally where a retiring machinist is looking to trade his high quality tools for the very things you mentioned. Starret, Brown and Sharpe, Helios and even Mitutoyo will be distant memories for a population that knows next to nothing about manual trades.
You just hit a major point on the manual trades. Guys like us not only enjoy what we can accomplish with our own hands, but we are also proud of the skills we acquire. Now days, “skill trades” are looked down on by some “academics” that think if you don’t have a degree then you’re not a successful human being. Makes me sick. My dad was a 32 year machinist and I’ve always been proud of him for it, the things he could do on a WWII era lathe and Bridgeport were astounding. Without a computer interface such as a CNC machine no one in his company could do what he did. Dad is gone and so are his skills, and this is happening everywhere. And I’m not bashing on modern equipment, the precision achieved is amazing. I’m more speaking to the fact that dad was a high school grad that learned via on the job training. Not many kids are willing to start at the bottom to learn a trade.

In my opinion this all comes full circle to one indisputable fact. There is a huge lack of work ethic in the younger generations, my own generation obviously included. A lot people are more proud of paying some one else to do the work instead of doing it themselves. Not saying everybody, but I see it where I work and I’m sure y’all do too.

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You just hit a major point on the manual trades. Guys like us not only enjoy what we can accomplish with our own hands, but we are also proud of the skills we acquire. Now days, “skill trades” are looked down on by some “academics” that think if you don’t have a degree then you’re not a successful human being. Makes me sick. My dad was a 32 year machinist and I’ve always been proud of him for it, the things he could do on a WWII era lathe and Bridgeport were astounding. Without a computer interface such as a CNC machine no one in his company could do what he did. Dad is gone and so are his skills, and this is happening everywhere. And I’m not bashing on modern equipment, the precision achieved is amazing. I’m more speaking to the fact that dad was a high school grad that learned via on the job training. Not many kids are willing to start at the bottom to learn a trade.

In my opinion this all comes full circle to one indisputable fact. There is a huge lack of work ethic in the younger generations, my own generation obviously included. A lot people are more proud of paying some one else to do the work instead of doing it themselves. Not saying everybody, but I see it where I work and I’m sure y’all do too.

very true, I say amen to this!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 39 and a lot of us Xers and Yers do appreciate the old stuff, I certainly do. I think some old ways of doing things are more popular than ever thanks to the internet. I bet more people cast bullets and reload ammo than any other time in history, and they spend a lot of money on it too.

Ya know, before I found forums like this I thought I was the only weirdo in the world who was obsessed with small engines and the machines they power. As a kid I would request sales literature in the mail on OPE and my parents sincerely wondered if there was something wrong with me.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Skilled trades went out/away in this part of the country during the mid to late 70`s. Teachers were dead set to steer students away from trades and informed to push students to go the academic routes. The trade schools shut down almost entirely, torn down, mothballed or revamped for other uses. People that got started in the trades before the route are reaching retirement age and now there is a big shortage of younger tradesmen to fill the gap. Our govt. is looking to bring in offshore workers to fill the need, they think its better to pay someone less money than the people with higher paying vocations, let them pay to have often sub standard work done and the govt can collect more taxes. Not saying all work is sub standard but much of it is if you asked the older trades persons their opinion.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have made a very good living most of my working life by being a skilled trades person ,union BTW .Had I went the technician or engineering route I doubt seriously if things would have worked out as well .
On the subject I just like most older solidly built machinery .John Deere ,Caterpillar,Monarch,Bridgeport etc .This stuff was made to last almost forever and it has stood the test of time .Todays stuff will never ever do that .If it breaks you throw it away and get another one .