Auto Tune

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So both major brands now have auto tune. Wonderful.Now what happens when the chain slowly looses it's edge and the saw is working harder?Better yet, suppose you put a longer bar on the saw. Say going from a 16 in BC to a 20 BC?.Will the auto tune make adjustments to compensate the additional load? What about reversing the situation? While I am in the fire what would happen if you went from a 3/8 down to a 325? Auto tune is OK but I prefer adjustable carburetors.I may be a dinosaur but this is something that I am able to deal with. Bottom line is will the auto Tune make minor compensations for different cutting situations? Ken

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The autotunes change the fuel jetting according to RPM's. Just like you'd do if you had a tach on the saw and one of those little orange screwdrivers.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hate auto this n that. Only auto I like for saw stuff it the clutch and oiler. Next auto freaks will want auto decompression. Auto chain tensioner and auto sharp with ESP auto start, with auto machine to automatically run the saw felling, limbing, bucking, then auto refill and auto airfilter blow down. That would be the ultimate auto saw.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I hate auto this n that. Only auto I like for saw stuff it the clutch and oiler. Next auto freaks will want auto decompression. Auto chain tensioner and auto sharp with ESP auto start, with auto machine to automatically run the saw felling, limbing, bucking, then auto refill and auto airfilter blow down. That would be the ultimate auto saw.
The Husqvarna 357 xp here in the UK had "Auto De Comp" on some of the early ones…It went faulty sometimes and cause a air leek ... top end damage followed !

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here in the US also and a known auto problem that Husky did away with after a couple years.
Iv wanted a 357 for a while now but the Delete of the auto system isn't clear and most of the ones iv seen for sale have been Auto De Comp…Wonder why !! :D

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Iv wanted a 357 for a while now but the Delete of the auto system isn't clear and most of the ones iv seen for sale have been Auto De Comp…Wonder why !! :D
Unscrew the auto decomp, screw in a manual decomp, plug the hole in the cylinder base. Can't be any easier.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unscrew the auto decomp, screw in a manual decomp, plug the hole in the cylinder base. Can't be any easier.
This is a tried and tested method ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes.

I also just got a new oem 357 jug from spike60 and it is an auto decomp jug. Just needs the little nipple plugged.
Wonderfull info thanks ..Spike 60 and Walt's Vids are legendary with me Personally ! Ether of them on this site ?

woodchipper95

Enthusiast
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I truly enjoy my two auto-tune saws... my 545 adjust so fast its really my favorite saw different temperature bar length wood type limbing/bucking it knows... I did a little damage on the piston with bad fuel... but since then I have been all non-e fuel at 40:1 and I keep checking and its not scoring any worse. It definitely has better throttle response and is stronger with every tank. I will run it until she blows and by another 545 or 550xp to replace it. My 576xp has less than 5 tanks through it... I have not tried switching bars but does great with different temperature, wood, and sixe of wood. Work runs sthil and the 261c has m-tronic it was the only saw I felt comfortable running in the previous weak since it was so cold... the other saws defiantly needed a tune.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wonderfull info thanks ..Spike 60 and Walt's Vids are legendary with me Personally ! Ether of them on this site ?
I don't think they are here yet. We need to get Bob here for sure.

Back to he 357 , the auto decomp & manual decomp jugs are the same except for the small air nipple at the base of the auto one. Super easy to just plug the hole.