High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Are Saw Mods Mainstream ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Over with me in UK, selling Modded saws ..port, muffler mod, comp lift ..and so on... isn't easy or common. I have seen the odd popular saw model come up for sale on Ebay and make no real money as the bids are few suggesting that the market is not as big as for a standard good condition saw of the same model .
Im not talking about the port to order saws as there are a few doing that here on a small scale ...its the open sell on to the general market I'm wondering about. What do you think on the legality /health and safety come back if someone gets silly !! I suppose it could happen ??
Interested to hear how it is for others in different parts of the globe.
PS..Modds or Mods ?? hell i don't know :D

Last edited:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
10:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was in the market for a saw I would shy away from a ported saw unless it was from someone reputable like guys on this site.

I would never buy a ported saw from some guy who worked it over himself.

On eBay, if a MMWS were to go up for sale, I'm willing to bet very few ebayers would know or have even heard of MMWS. I'd dare bet that a ported saw would bring less vs a stock saw.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the issue is the vast majority of people have no idea what mods are or what their purpose would be. There are people that have saws and there are saw enthusiasts. An enthusiast would be more prone to buying a ported and modded saw. Joe public just sees that there is a saw that is the same model for sale for $200 less. He will likely buy the cheaper one.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was in the market for a saw I would shy away from a ported saw unless it was from someone reputable like guys on this site.

I would never buy a ported saw from some guy who worked it over himself.

On eBay, if a MMWS were to go up for sale, I'm willing to bet very few ebayers would know or have even heard of MMWS. I'd dare bet that a ported saw would bring less vs a stock saw.
I got good money for 2 mmws saws i ebayed ,a flat top 066 brought 1k ,and i think a 372 xpw was 850 or so ,need to sell them in the fall to get good money i have found ,most people do not need firewood when it is summer time .

the GOAT

87, k2 40:1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's a small minority around here... The tree service guys don't want anything but a stock saw. They think muffler mods are too loud and don't want to annoy their customers or their customers neighbors. They won't even run an ms200 without the spark screen. Too much liability in not running stock saws. Loggers may do a basic muffler mod but a lot of loggers don't run chain saws all that much anymore.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What's with this liability bullcrap?! Rumors rumors rumors. You cannot blame the mechanic or the manufacturer unless they deliberately set a trap. One example would be scoring the chain so it breaks during use...or installing a fuel line to seep gas into the muffler while running, disabling/ removing chain brake or kill switch.
Anyone can flood a stock saw and burn the whole damn forest down, or use it as a light saber with noodle arms and cut themselves in half.

The one thing I've noticed and have heard feedback about is the members on AS *b-wording about ported saws and saying how they suck. Every time the entire world googles anything chainsaw related the first or second result is always something from AS. All those ignorant comments are taken seriously and interested buyers end up with nothing or a saw that needs fixed.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not all ported saws are loud and violent either. The 421 that @Red97 ported for me looks, starts the idles like stock. Unless you own a 420/421 or are very familiar with "how well" a 40cc saw should run you would have no clue it was modified. The average saw user would just think that it was a strong little saw. For those in the know, you can definitely tell that it isn't stock. The power band is more useable and it cuts more like a muffler modded 50cc saw.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think selling a modded/ported saw presents no more liability or whatever than selling a stock saw. Chainsaws in the right hands are dangerous as it is, put them in the wrong hands and it can tun out really bad. As said above, i wouldnt buy a "ported" saw without knowing its full history. There are plenty of reputable guys and plenty of hacks, and definitely a niche market.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two things:

1) I notice that ported saws on this (and the other) website are not getting the premium they would have a year or two ago. I'm not sure why, I believe they are more valuable if the work was done by a known porter. So if you sell a ported saw, don't expect to recover the cost of porting & shipping.

2) One of the local tree guys says he wants nothing to do with ported saws. Says if one of his guys gets injured using one, there may be problems with the insurance company. I fear he may be correct, but for myself, I generally like ported saws!

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had never heard of a mm or ported saw until fate led me to 'you guys':D. Not sure if that's good or bad because back then I had a 266xp that I was totally satisfied with and CAD wasn't an issue. Now I won't own a saw without it being ported or at least a MM and I have more saws than I can use and more projects than I will ever get finished. Thanks guys!!

Sloth-Goonies-Hey-You-Guys-03.png