i think any independants went south 20+ years ago when Makita bought Dolmar

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember someone mentioning an indy Makita dealer somewhere in NY state.

I know of a place, but they aren't going to give them away if that's what your looking for.

97372698_3151597418226118_3632883020576325632_n.jpg

Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A couple of hours ago I spoke to a Makita-Dolmar dealer who said they've moved away from Dolkita gas chainsaws over the last few years because of so many issues with carbs on 5000 series saws, and on the 64xx-79xx series saws- stated the solution was to replace the carbs with new Zamas from Zama. He said Makita never gave an answer as to the cause of the carb issues.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A couple of hours ago I spoke to a Makita-Dolmar dealer who said they've moved away from Dolkita gas chainsaws over the last few years because of so many issues with carbs on 5000 series saws, and on the 64xx-79xx series saws- stated the solution was to replace the carbs with new Zamas from Zama. He said Makita never gave an answer as to the cause of the carb issues.

Something about the carbs being epoxied?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Something about the carbs being epoxied?
Doesn't sound like a very good dealer, to be honest. The 5000 series floods easily. That's a known issue. The solution is to not use the choke, but leave fast idle and pull. Usually works like a charm. With that said; I have quite a few 5000 series saws, and I've never had any issues starting them. The 64-79xx saws have a quick fix if they flood. Modify or replace the spring in the carb.
Epoxied H screws is something I've only seen on the smaller saws, like 421/4300 and smaller. I could be wrong on that, though. Short of the story is it's never been an issue for me. Others may have different experiences, obviously.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't sound like a very good dealer, to be honest. The 5000 series floods easily. That's a known issue. The solution is to not use the choke, but leave fast idle and pull. Usually works like a charm. With that said; I have quite a few 5000 series saws, and I've never had any issues starting them. The 64-79xx saws have a quick fix if they flood. Modify or replace the spring in the carb.
Epoxied H screws is something I've only seen on the smaller saws, like 421/4300 and smaller. I could be wrong on that, though. Short of the story is it's never been an issue for me. Others may have different experiences, obviously.

You must have a super duper dealer like I do. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a private owned dealer near me. It's where I bought my Dolmar 6100. He sells appliances, cub cadet mowers, and Makita chainsaws.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only issue Dolmar saws have developed over time as Makita shifted production to cheaper third party manufacturers and quality control went down the *s-wordter!

The 64xx/73xx/79xx series has hot re-start issues, early units had oil pressure line leakage (black hose, installing the updated green hose is the fix).
Other than that they are bulletproof.

I don't use my little saws enough to comment on them, but my PS-550 has literally ZERO issues and I run her a lot!

Love Cutting Wood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, I am a Makita (Dolmar) dealer in Washington State (schneiderschainsaw.com). I pickup any of the Makita 6100, 7300 and 7900 series saws that I can find from the remaining Makita stock and sell them. I will not sell the smaller Makita chainsaws that were made in China. I like other Makita outdoor power equipment dealers had to branch out to other brands to survive. I am now an Efco and Maruyama outdoor power dealer. I have also been trying to get one of these two companies to purchase the Dolmar factory from Makita. I was told that Makita did not want to sell the Dolmar factory but I will keep trying. In the last two weeks I have now become a Husqvarna dealer as well. But my favorite chainsaws are the Makita (Dolmar) chainsaws in their classes. Even though I am a Makita outdoor power dealer I will be the first person to say that they completely mismanaged the Dolmar products.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sure you know this. Information I have read suggests that Husky is also abandoning the gas small equipment market as well. Wether this will extend to the chainsaw portion I do not know. Shame if it does. I was a dolmar dealer until Makita got in the picture. I am semi retired, and have no axe to grind but I dislike Stilh company polices. ( pricing also for that matter) I like my dollies with the 64xx/79xx being my go to units. I have had one failure on one of the 7900 - base gasket blow out ( the was a sneaky one to find) At the time that power head was aleady 20 years old with a ton of hours on it. Had a 116SI that I completely wore out and 112 that sees occasional use. There is a 6410 smurf that was a home depot cast off pretty meesed up when I repaired it and it has been fine ever since. ( way over heated, melted oil gears and carb was ethanol-ed to death).