Any computer gurus around?

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm trying to install a different router at home. The router is fairly new. My wife brought it home from her office.
It's a Netgear R6300.

I keep getting the following message:

"The DNS server is not responding"

Help, before I put a bullet in this thing

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go into your internet settings, click on the wireless connection, go to properties. In there somewhere there is an option to select the dns server addresses automatically. Make sure it's selected.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also clear your dns. That may help. Go to run. Type cmd then once that pops up type ipconfig/flushdns then restart computer. That may help.

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While what you are saying makes sense if I was running XP or 7, I am somewhat at a loss running Windblows 8

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at the router address on it.

Sometimes its something like 10.10.00 or something.

Reset the router by inserting a paper clip in the reset hole and holding it down.

If it doesn't work after reset, Log into the router by putting the address in your browser.

If youre hardwired, you should just connect.

Also reset your modem and check the Cat5 wire.

That's all I got Jeremy.

@malk315 any ideas to help a brutha out?

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill try a reset.
But I think it's deeper than that.

I did download the Netgear Genie app on the PC.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Jeremy -- I grabbed the manual for that 6300 router.

Does the front panel "internet" light that looks like a globe ever go green which means the router itself has an internet connection?

Usually cable modems are setup to allow one CPE device behind them. It's best to kill all equipment including the cable modem so it forgest the mac of your old router, power up the cable modem first on it's own til it comes all the way up. Then power up the router and make sure you get the "green" internet light -- then you know the router is talking to the internet. If the router has enet ports on the back try a hard wired connection first before screwing with wifi.

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Jeremy -- I grabbed the manual for that 6300 router.

Does the front panel "internet" light that looks like a globe ever go green which means the router itself has an internet connection?

Usually cable modems are setup to allow one CPE device behind them. It's best to kill all equipment including the cable modem so it forgest the mac of your old router, power up the cable modem first on it's own til it comes all the way up. Then power up the router and make sure you get the "green" internet light -- then you know the router is talking to the internet. If the router has enet ports on the back try a hard wired connection first before screwing with wifi.

Yes
The globe illuminates.
I'm hard wiring to the pc.
No need or desire for wireless at this time.
Just wanna make this DNS error go away

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it matters.....my wife had used this router in her office briefly before they switched ISP.
Then it just sorta sat in a closet for a year

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely try and reset it to factory defaults like Al suggested with a paper clip and the reset button.

When connected via wire in any of the 4 ports on the back the address to login to the router itself is:

http://www.routerlogin.net

Default username is "admin" with password "password" obviously without the quotes

It must intercept the name routerlogin.net instead of making you use an IP address to access the router.
If you can get into it's web interface, it will show you status of what's going on. It's another way you can try and reset it to factory defaults too.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To reset the whole thing you have to hold the little reset button with paperclip in for 7 seconds.

Make sure cable modem is plugged into "internet" port and not LAN ports 1-4 on the back.

This router can be accessed at http://192.168.1.1 also -- you don't have to use http://www.routerlogin.net

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also -- once you get it factory defaulted you can try it wirelessly by using the SSID that is listed on the label on the router itself -- it will be NETGEARXX where XX is probably two numbers. Under that is the password you type for WPA/PSK wireless security. They call it "Network Key (Password)" it's a long string of letters and numbers.

Once on wired or wirelessly you can point your web browser at http://192.168.1.1 with username admin and password password and the main screen will tell you if the internet connection is good or not.

If you have a cable modem provider that provisions the CPE device (your router) behind the cable modem by specific MAC address, then you have to get on the horn with them and give them the MAC of your router. It's highly unlikely they would do that -- it's a PITA for them. Usually they just restricted the number of devices allowed behind the cable modem to be one device -- the first one that connects since most people just use a router and share with their router.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Windows 8 you should be able to click on the bottom right to choose a wireless network or open "network and sharing center" and you can setup wired and wireless things in there just like it was on windows 7 and the like.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can watch this on a mobile device -- this walks through getting to the wireless crap on windows 8:

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To reset the whole thing you have to hold the little reset button with paperclip in for 7 seconds.

Make sure cable modem is plugged into "internet" port and not LAN ports 1-4 on the back.

This router can be accessed at http://192.168.1.1 also -- you don't have to use http://www.routerlogin.net

I had the enet wires in the proper ports.
I tried resetting, but only pushed the button.
I'll try again tonite after the kids go to bed.
This time I'll push and hold the button

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mouse to the lower right corner to bring up the "charms" bar on windows 8 and click settings. Then choose the wireless bars and connect to NETGERXX as shown on router label with the password listed on the label.

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cable co owns the modem, but the router(s) have always been ours

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the enet wires in the proper ports.
I tried resetting, but only pushed the button.
I'll try again tonite after the kids go to bed.
This time I'll push and hold the button

Cool -- they probably changed the settings from the defaults and you just need factory settings.

If modem has been at least power cycled and only the router has been connected to it you should be good once you hold that reset button in for 7 seconds and the router gets it's public IP from your provider etc etc.