Any Chinese chainsaw and chinese parts discussion

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you making it so fuel goes into the strato port? If so then exposing the strato passage on the piston to the crank case shouldn't do anything really unless it's timed in a way that would short circuit the intake port (bad) or short circuit the transfers (boost port basically).

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's only exposed where the cylinder skirt was cut, but closes before it reaches the strato port. It's not open to both at the same time. Does it carry some fuel up with it? Maybe does. I really don't know. This wasn't a design, it was an accident. With little to no thought put into it. LOL

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's only exposed where the cylinder skirt was cut, but closes before it reaches the strato port. It's not open to both at the same time. Does it carry some fuel up with it? Maybe does. I really don't know. This wasn't a design, it was an accident. With little to no thought put into it. LOL

Oh ok you made it sound like you ran it with a gutted intake boot, which would make fuel go into the strato port no matter how you ported the jug.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A strong saw would be to get the new holzforma
Xt and slap a oe oem or hyway cylinder
Kit on it.
Bigger carb and the hi top boy's
Will get there gawdy hi tops.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh ok you made it sound like you ran it with a gutted intake boot, which would make fuel go into the strato port no matter how you ported the jug.

I did. Intake boot and filter holder are gutted. Gasket delete and muff mod.

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that Huztl is selling a version of the XT, it's no longer off topic to talk about them here. As much as it pains me to agree with Walt, I'd say that an OE 52mm model would have made more sense in the line up. Took me a while to warm up to the XT's myself as far as playing with them goes. Comfortable with them now, so they are an accepted member of the 372 family for me.

Starting: The original deco dropped the compression too much. Likely what's going on with Eric's. Especially bad on a new saw that wasn't broken in. Easier to pull, didn't equate to easier to start. We just told guys to not use the deco. But some older guys needed it. Many saws came in flooded. A weak pull, combined with the early deco could produce a weak initial firing of the saw that the operator wouldn't hear. Then they'd keep pulling it with the choke out. They'd put the saw on the counter with a soaked muffler and the choke lever still out. How many times did you pull it with the choke out? "At least 20" So, some of this is just people being stupid and making it worse. Few years ago they switched to a deco with a smaller hole that didn't drop the compression as much, and we rarely see this problem anymore. It's a $35 deco if you buy that specific part, but any deco or the plug will work.

There have been some carb and coil changes to address this, and the idle issue. Earliest saws were difficult to set the idle, Only the first year or 2. A coil and carb combo at that time mostly solved the problem. Couple more coil changes with the latest being WAY better in all respects. It's not just spark or no spark with these coils. The newest XT coil has different start and advance curves. Saws run better in every way. Start, idle and acceleration all improved. Walt has used them on OE saws, and he can chime in here on that. Some of this coil technology is on the new 550M2 and why it has no deco. Same for the 450 II that has been out a while. The coils fire at a lower RPM. On the 450, I think they went from needing 1400 to 700 for the coil to fire. This is a big deal for people who have a tough time snapping the rope.
)

So how many decomps are there? To be honest, I never really thought about them. I took the decomp out of the 2172 in question (actually a 2166 with 2172 transfer covers made in 2013) and compared it to a decomp from a oe 372 and one from a 272. 372 and 272 look the same and the 2172 has a much smaller hole. Is this the new part? It seems like the older cylinders use the small hole on the cylinder itself to regulate, while the xt cylinder relies on the valve. Anyway, I put the older, larger decomp in, just to see what would happen. It got worse. I could not start the saw at all with the decomp. Pop the decomp out and it fired on one pull.

At this point it's just going to get used as-is and I'll ignore the decomp. I'm not going to spend money on carbs and coils so the decomp button will work. I bought this saw for $150 from a dealer. It was a fresh trade-in on a 2260 that they didn't have time to mess with. It was owned by some local conservation group and is in very good condition. I know they have younger folks who are learning to run saws and I'm wondering if this is why it got traded in.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how many decomps are there? To be honest, I never really thought about them. I took the decomp out of the 2172 in question (actually a 2166 with 2172 transfer covers made in 2013) and compared it to a decomp from a oe 372 and one from a 272. 372 and 272 look the same and the 2172 has a much smaller hole. Is this the new part? It seems like the older cylinders use the small hole on the cylinder itself to regulate, while the xt cylinder relies on the valve. Anyway, I put the older, larger decomp in, just to see what would happen. It got worse. I could not start the saw at all with the decomp. Pop the decomp out and it fired on one pull.

At this point it's just going to get used as-is and I'll ignore the decomp. I'm not going to spend money on carbs and coils so the decomp button will work. I bought this saw for $150 from a dealer. It was a fresh trade-in on a 2260 that they didn't have time to mess with. It was owned by some local conservation group and is in very good condition. I know they have younger folks who are learning to run saws and I'm wondering if this is why it got traded in.
Decomp that are exposed to the combustion chamber like most Stihls and the 372 xtorq will have a smaller hole. Decomp from a 372oe, 390, or a 395 will have the larger hole, as its mounted on the side and compression has to travel through a small hole in the cylinder wall

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decomp that are exposed to the combustion chamber like most Stihls and the 372 xtorq will have a smaller hole. Decomp from a 372oe, 390, or a 395 will have the larger hole, as its mounted on the side and compression has to travel through a small hole in the cylinder wall

I was actually thinking about the Stihl decomp. I have one around here somewhere and I was going to compare the hole size with the xtorq.

I have never thought about decompression valves more than I have in the last few days............

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was actually thinking about the Stihl decomp. I have one around here somewhere and I was going to compare the hole size with the xtorq.

I have never thought about decompression valves more than I have in the last few days............
They will be similar, since both are threaded into the top of the combustion chamber. They will have a smaller hole in them.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have a ported 254 here that I added a decomp to the top of the head right in front of the spark plug. At first, I used a 390 decomp with the larger hole and I couldn't get it to start with the decomp. Switched to one from an xtorq and it fired right up

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutting hazard tree's today20190903_132647.jpgzoo city work saw it's my favorite 37220190903_132732.jpgan old fella gave me this 5lb jersey axe
And it works damn good as a wedge banger
He always had one set up like this.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how many decomps are there? To be honest, I never really thought about them.

Are you suggesting that it doesn't make economic sense to spend $200 on a coil and carb vs just leaving the deco out? Some of you guys are so cheap! LOL

The deco upgrade on the 2172/372XT was sometime in 2016, so yours definitely had the older one. The new XT deco is also what they are using in the 572's.

There are several decos, but not an insane amount. Smaller saws get smaller decos. On the blue ones that everyone is familiar with, there's 2 that appear in a lot of models, including the bigger brush cutters. Break point is roughly 55's on down get the small one, 357's on up get the bigger one. 254 could have either I suppose. 455/460's have their own. 550 and 562 share one. Newer homeowner saws probably have something different. I like to use the plug on saws I build for myself or friends. I hardly ever use decos when they are there anyway. Decos do leak more often than guys suspect they might, so if they aren't being used, best to have the plug in there.

I don't how much interchanging you can do with these things cause I've never explored it.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, now that's some news. Not on the Huztl site yet, and I'm not a FB member so I can't open up the link. Do they have prices posted on the FB page?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What IS on the Huztl site is 5 pages of parts for the Joncutter saws. Gotta give them credit on a good job there.

Since the Farmertec folks may be following this thread, or maybe Dave can pass this along. I have something for the Farmertec suggestion box: Short block assemblies for many of these saws would be good sellers IMO. They have a full selection of top ends. Why not a good selection of bottom ends? And the bottom ends seem to be pretty good.

I know they have the 372 short block that comes with a top end on it. Not even sure what size it is. But these would be better if they came without a cylinder kit on it. Drop the price by taking out the kit and let the customer choose what cylinder kit to use. Husqvarna has been coming out with short block assemblies themselves. Largely because many dealers can't, or won't, do bottom end work. But even for those of us who do, it's a huge time saver to just take out a short block assembly and start from there.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never was a xt fan they just didn't make good
Power like oe saws do
The 2166 dj ported for is the strongest one I've run.
It's a great falling and blocking saw and fuel efficient compared to all the bastard 372s i have.
I don't pass up a deal on a xt
I just put a oe style topend on them usually.
That's a nice running saw. I gutted my 2172 and did some light porting and a pop up and it's my favorite saw now. I did cut the flange down to make it level at the lower transfers. Lots of power but it also uses lots of fuel. I've got some Chinese crankcases and will be doing one of them with an xtorq top end, everything gutted.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, now that's some news. Not on the Huztl site yet, and I'm not a FB member so I can't open up the link. Do they have prices posted on the FB page?
You can be anyone you want to be on fb
Just make a fake account and join some groups
There's some good husqvarna groups
Lots of norway/sweden European etc.
The member's run 1 and 2 series and have had 572s for a long time
You could be stihlguru60 or whatever.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a nice running saw. I gutted my 2172 and did some light porting and a pop up and it's my favorite saw now. I did cut the flange down to make it level at the lower transfers. Lots of power but it also uses lots of fuel. I've got some Chinese crankcases and will be doing one of them with an xtorq top end, everything gutted.

Several guy's contacted me about those ebay saws like mine.
They missed their chance
That was a great deal
many of them have only xts.
They could've rebuilt or retired their saws
For parts.
And started with new ones.
I really like this one it's a strong running saw
Perfect with a 24"