All Things 288XP

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, you're missing a little over 1/2" of case there. It could be welding in but the saw would have to be stripped down.
Good to know. Is it worth repairing? By that I mean will the repaired area be as strong as the original case or will it be e weak spot that breaks in the future,?
Soak it in degreaser and pressure wash it to see what all it needs.
Yeah. Pretty much planned on a complete disassembly and rebuild. The top cover to case holes are pretty well stripped and wallowed out due to a previous owner using random screws....there probably more surprises waiting inside too. Lol
Remove the electrical first
I noticed the coil wire is routed right there as well. It's kind of an odd 2 piece coil design.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know. Is it worth repairing? By that I mean will the repaired area be as strong as the original case or will it be e weak spot that breaks in the future,?

Yeah. Pretty much planned on a complete disassembly and rebuild. The top cover to case holes are pretty well stripped and wallowed out due to a previous owner using random screws....there probably more surprises waiting inside too. Lol

I noticed the coil wire is routed right there as well. It's kind of an odd 2 piece coil design.

It would be just as strong as the original case. The weld is stronger than the original cast, it's the blended areas that become the weak link.

You can usually heli-coil the top cover holes, if not they can be welded too.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, who’s hoarding all the spring style buffers? I’m looking for a few and they ain’t cheap new

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, who’s hoarding all the spring style buffers? I’m looking for a few and they ain’t cheap new
Mine currently has the spring style buffers. Haven't torn it down yet but I'm guessing one or two may be broken. Have a set of rubber av mounts on the way.....your welcome to my old ones if you cover the ride....Maybe you have a spare flywheel side crankcase half?

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
part#? I have some springs but not sure what they go to :p They are at least numbered

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine currently has the spring style buffers. Haven't torn it down yet but I'm guessing one or two may be broken. Have a set of rubber av mounts on the way.....your welcome to my old ones if you cover the ride....Maybe you have a spare flywheel side crankcase half?
I bet I do.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spring ALWAYS breaks. I switched all my 288s to rubber. I have 3 288s only 4 of those spring survived. The 281 from 1989 has rubber and still good to this day.
The Spring's even oem were always too soft on the saws i have
Making for floppy bastard's
And they didn't last long under heavy use.
I've tore a few rubber buffer's but they have been far more durable and make a better handling saw to me.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t remember the recipe I settled on for my 288 but I think it was just 2 or maybe 4 springs in the back to reduce vibes.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t remember the recipe I settled on for my 288 but I think it was just 2 or maybe 4 springs in the back to reduce vibes.

I personally run the 4 rear spring and just the large spring on the front... no rubber mounts on the bottom front of the tank.