A race is a race right? How about a "pull start" race with my current work saws

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not wishing to let an opportunity for some senseless banter go to waste, I must call BALONEY! (On one sticking point at least) :)

A very important point in this comparison was left out. My view is that saws with and without primers are such different animals, that comparing them is not at all valid unless one of the points is to demonstrate the advantage of having the primer in the first place. A primer makes such a huge difference in starting a saw that's been sitting. That advantage needs to be part of the discussion so guys can form accurate opinions of what's taking place here. One worthwhile addition might be to try some primer saws without priming them to illustrate how nice the primers actually are.

Comparing a saw with a primer to one without, is like comparing 2 snow blowers and pulling the rope on one, and using the electric start on the other. It's that different.

My only other complaint is that I wasn't up there to hang out and enjoy the day with you. I'm really due for a road trip.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But the banter is ON! And who cares what the controls are? The user just cares if the collection of parts in their hands work...or not. If that thing has a primer ..it starts faster and if not it doesn't....that's the point right? A better collection of parts works better? The Saw's all include the controls & tools to get them started and the ones BETTER at starting might have a variety on things including a primer..:)

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
But the banter is ON! And who cares what the controls are? The user just cares if the collection of parts in their hands work...or not. If that thing has a primer ..it starts faster and if not it doesn't....that's the point right? A better collection of parts works better? The Saw's all include the controls & tools to get them started and the ones BETTER at starting might have a variety on things including a primer..:)
Engage banter mode...:D.
Primmer ....Then add a "Memory Power Ignition Coil" along with spring assist to help get over the high comp you get with good running saws and you may just have found a real easy starter !

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The man is correct about the purge/primer bulbs.

Started a little Poulan this evening that has sat for three years. [emoji108]

I’d still be dribble feeding one without to get it to draw fuel.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The man is correct about the purge/primer bulbs.

Started a little Poulan this evening that has sat for three years. [emoji108]

I’d still be dribble feeding one without to get it to draw fuel.
There are always those baby milk bottles of yore..:) BUT bottom line is it started...

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are always those baby milk bottles of yore..:) BUT bottom line is it started...

b0e1760ee4f1503adaf36d033438a3d2.jpg

Squeeze ketchup bottle. 101 uses.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always enjoy your vids Walt. Really dig that Tower of Power!!

Headed up here to get an old 1960's era 65hp 4 cyl, possibly a 100hp inline 6 power head. He's more Johnson/Evenrude, so just junks the merc stuff....which I like, going to grab projects here and then do the same thing we do with the saws..:) A GTG on the water anyone?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What's this, evasive maneuvers? LOL

My point is this: The primer is part of the story, and should be included in the discussion, not left unmentioned, that's all.

Remember also that there are plenty of non AT saws with primers, but only 1 AT saw that does not have a primer. (576AT) So AT vs non AT may indeed tell one story. But primers significantly change the parameters, and tell yet another story. So, you have two intersecting sets of "empirical data" that require further analyzation. :)

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's this, evasive maneuvers? LOL

My point is this: The primer is part of the story, and should be included in the discussion, not left unmentioned, that's all.

Remember also that there are plenty of non AT saws with primers, but only 1 AT saw that does not have a primer. (576AT) So AT vs non AT may indeed tell one story. But primers significantly change the parameters, and tell yet another story. So, you have two intersecting sets of "empirical data" that require further analyzation. :)

And the empirical data shows saw with better designs start faster than those with lessor designs.....relative to starting. SO when looking for saws that start easy, there are a few features that give a clue to the overall package and it's ability to start....easy. I do observe ALL the saws tuned properly are first pull starters after they have warmed up. :)

SO to make the point, when folks are asking about a saw do they call them by their manufacturer and model? or Primer vs. no primer? I would say that a person calling or visiting a dealer is wanting to know price. model, manufacturer....and if they ask which one starts easier THEN the dealer might offer that additonal feature data like spring loaded starter, auto tune, primer bulb etc.....features on particular models.....then the selection and purchase is (hopefully made) and that person brings it home.....friend calls... "what did you get" ??? I doubt VERY much the guy answers "I got a PRIMER bulb saw!" More likely its, I got a Stihl MS250 or Husqvarna 555...:)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How on earth do you draw a correlation between uneducated consumers asking or not asking about primers, (some occasionally do), and us so called experts that are supposed to be educating them on things like this? :) We're supposed to be on top of this stuff. There's a lot of people out there that actually believe we know what we're talking about. :rolleyes:

We can easily understand that primers might not be on the consumer's radar screen. But there's no excuse for them not being on our screens, particularly in a half hour video about ease of starting different types of saws. We'll just call this one a simple "error of omission"

Why don't you just admit that I'm always right? :)

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys oughtta get married... ;)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys oughtta get married... ;)

I don't know, Mary says he snores a lot. But I'm used to that cause NOBODY snores louder than Jan does. (Asthma) When she stays over I have to sneak in the foam ear plugs. I guess we're a little off topic now, huh?

This just in: Honest to God, customer just came in and bought...……….get ready...……...a primer for his 345! :ARMS1: