661 trouble

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 2 661s we use for logging. Mine gets the most run time. Ran it out of fuel yesterday so I walked over to my gas and oil and fueled the saw up. Clicked it down onto cold start like I always do and when I pulled it to start it made and awful pop kinda backfire noise. Wouldn't start. I held the trigger in and pulled it till it started and all was well for about 10 minutes. Then it started breaking up in the cut and won't come down off high idle. Tried recalibrating it but that didn't help either. This is my second 661, my first was a complete lemon that they never could figure out what was wrong with it. They replaced that saw with a brand new one thankfully. This one probably has 5 or 6 months on it. Ran 5 days a week about 2 gallons a day. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wont blow sunshine up your butt and tell you something that I dont know ............

I would check the coil and flywheel gap, the 2 sets of magnets being clean on the flywheel and if they do look good, I'd pull the coil, make sure its the updated one, then sand the coil and magnets a little, then gap them

New coil numbers in picture belowimage.jpeg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what gas and oil and ratio? not likely at all...but good to know.

Can you take the recoil/fly wheel cover off. What is the # on the cylinder? Latest cylinder is 1144 C. My understanding is A's were a problem. B's and C's are fine. What is the # on the coil? Latest coil that has apparently fixed many problems is 4701A. Does it have a "straight boot"? like this...

Bxy8Eet.jpg
Let it get a little more daylight and I'll go look. I know it's got the straight boot on it.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what gas and oil and ratio? not likely at all...but good to know.

Can you take the recoil/fly wheel cover off. What is the # on the cylinder? Latest cylinder is 1144 C. My understanding is A's were a problem. B's and C's are fine. What is the # on the coil? Latest coil that has apparently fixed many problems is 4701A. Does it have a "straight boot"? like this...

Bxy8Eet.jpg
Never mind I can't get into it, all my tools are in the dammed work truck. All I have is the powerhead. We're running 93 and the stihl oil in the orange jug. 50:1. Not my choice of fuel mix but that's what they run. Saw has and opened up muffler outlet port.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just need the L shaped black torx 27 that comes with the saw, to remove the 4 bolts that hold flywheel cover on. All that needs to come off.

@mdavlee has done plenty of octane testing. saw runs best at 87 or 89 if u can get ethanol free is the question.

orange bottle! eek. I would bet money that running klotz super techniplate 40:1 would actually be cheaper than running that orange bottle crap 50:1. No joke. Far superior oil. @jmssaws Or do they have to run 50:1 for some law/reg?
We have ran that oil for like 7 years logging and haven't had any trouble at all. No E free fuel here. I understand that some oils are better than others but keeping the filter clean and the chain sharp does as much good as running fancy oil, IMO. We've only grenaded one saw in all the years I've worked for this guy and that's because it had about 4 years of timber cutting on it.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just need the L shaped black torx 27 that comes with the saw, to remove the 4 bolts that hold flywheel cover on. All that needs to come off.

@mdavlee has done plenty of octane testing. saw runs best at 87 or 89 if u can get ethanol free is the question.

orange bottle! eek. I would bet money that running klotz super techniplate 40:1 would actually be cheaper than running that orange bottle crap 50:1. No joke. Far superior oil. @jmssaws Or do they have to run 50:1 for some law/reg?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...chniplate-2-Stroke-Oil?term=super+techniplate

free shipping over $100 orders. can buy it by the gallon. Anyone know for sure if that is cheaper than stihl orange by the gallon?
Stihl ultra is $60 a gallon plus tax at my dealer.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As if somone running two gallons of mix 5 days a week for seven years does not know what oil works in his saw.lol. My guess is the issue has nothing to do with the forbidden orange stihl oil they have been factory recomending for decades.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Klotz is far cheaper than either stihl oil.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Klotz is far cheaper than either stihl oil.
Gotta have a good dealer. And thanks redfin. I don't need to borrow anything thankfully. I've still got 2 660s and an 066.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As if somone running two gallons of mix 5 days a week for seven years does not know what oil works in his saw.lol. My guess is the issue has nothing to do with the forbidden orange stihl oil they have been factory recomending for decades.
You are logical. That's not typical of people. Thanks.