jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the largest tree services here, Jensen's Tree Service, has a fleet of around 90 562s in the company. So far, they've had a low failure/problem rate. They run saws hard as they do a lot of ROW work and lot/land clearing. I've bought three so far brand new and all three were flawless performers. I still have one and the cylinder was worked over by Randy and it is by far one of the best falling saws I have. I've fell up to 32" Doug Firs with it without a problem.

Mad1704

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's not good. Mine has made it around 6 years in commercial work and still going as strong or stronger than when. It was new... what's blowing up on them?
One of the largest tree services here, Jensen's Tree Service, has a fleet of around 90 562s in the company. So far, they've had a low failure/problem rate. They run saws hard as they do a lot of ROW work and lot/land clearing. I've bought three so far brand new and all three were flawless performers. I still have one and the cylinder was worked over by Randy and it is by far one of the best falling saws I have. I've fell up to 32" Doug Firs with it without a problem.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of things....might have been already said. First to those who would "mod" them. If there is an inclination to deck the cylinder, its one of those "you see this one, but didn't see that (left jab)" deal. It was all over the INTERNET about the clearance issues with the transfer cap....try dropping the cylinder .020" and they hit in a couple of places.. ( the down side of Cad/Cam is being able to do interference checks with solids and some surface modeling...they DO that and use space more efficiently ) What I haven't seen in on line wisdom, but equally an issue is you typically only have .010-.015in clearance between the "skirt" and the cases too. So drop the flange .020...it actually goes the .015 and leaves a .005 or more gap between the cylinder base and the cases.......a leak soon to follow. Also have seen where folks followed an online "recipe" for the transfer cap clearance, missed, had those jammed and yet another leak. I've seen a couple already that failed because of leaky cylinder base gaskets because of some hot shot mod shop seeing one but not the other clearance issue. Bottom line? simple base gasket builds are out. If a person doesn't have the tools to cut the flange & skirt...they need to keep things stock. Period. If they are trying to do "production" mods....thats another issues because each one is an individual. Bad finish on the cylinder bases will also result in a leak....there is a reason, but I'll not go there in this post. :)

First clue? CST has given the dealer some feed back in the form of "error 13 & 16's".

Second. You KNOW what I think about Nylon caged bearings....and heat. One of the things that strikes me seeing these is the obvious design intent on capturing heat in and around the transfers ports. The transfers wrapping around the exhaust. The way the muffler deflects the exhaust gases down towards the cases. That has to add heat to the cases and sure enough one of the issues was hot start where the gas was boiling creating a vapor lock...hence hot start issues on some if the hoses and primer circuit rubber aren't perfect. They run hot. Intelligently modded mufflers and covers help with the heat issues. And the later ones HAVE some changes already. I was successful with an early 5 screw case version to make a build that hasn't leaked and doesn't have a hot start issues so if I can..the better builders can certainly do even better.

CST...those who would develop mods and don't have one....:) Missing a lot of clues. Yeah conventional things are going to work. But those carbs are tiny, and their ability to deliver fuel has limits. A CST gives clues to that and will help immensely during the development of modifications. SO...buyer beware...

Back to "stock" saws:

Early ones had five case screws and it wasn't unusual to see the case gasket fail under the muffler. Later ones had an additional screw and that went away...although using "1184" and an OEM case gasket would also solve that issue.

The latest ones have more venting in the top covers and a few other details that seems to have solved a lot of the issues on "stock" saws. And as I believe spike60 has pointed out the reliability is way better than the original ones.

Dealers who have a lot of them also learn them. Spike60 sees stuff many lower volume folks simply won't until the feed back goes through the service bulletin cycle, and many don't keep up on them! Less important now with the more "updated" saws. Was VERY important earlier in the product life of these. Dealers like Bob saw and solved issues in their own and had an advantage over those who either didn't see many or for other reasons didn't follow the service bulletins.

Last...CST. That too has changed. I'm a novice on these but can tell immediately that without one or knowing how to use one, the mechanic working on these is shooting in the dark. SO much feed back available to the intuitive...but not a cook book for those less so....blessing and a curse. The error codes help, the "tuning" data also is very helpful.

Much of the online commentary on CST's was based on the early version...:) Have to say some dealers never progressed past that therefore their customers never got the benefits of both a more knowledgeable dealer on the relevant updates and even more importantly the benefits of updated firm ware. It DOES matter. So like I said, with these saws more than ever a good dealer is really important.

Part one of a three part rant on these saws! Have to say I like them. More so now. Not "Hand grenades". But bottom line is you have to have a good dealer for certain with the older ones. Not a bad idea with the newest ones either..:) ( Part two and three will not be shared in a general thread) Bet Stihl will go through the same type of deal with their new saws...:) Last but not least....have to remember, like usual; generalizations are just that...and usually only right in a small sample set. No reason why these saws shouldn't have a long and productive service life. But to those who have to buy a modified saw...careful who you spend the money with please.

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was hoping Walt and Bob would chime in here.. :)

Guys, "smart" saws are going to become the rule and not the exception. The manufacturers are sure to have their growing pains, as will servicing dealers and the end consumers. I don't want to take this thread in a political direction, but we cannot ignore the fact that these saws were brought out due to EPA mandate and not necessarily market demand. That alone increases the chances of growing pains early on. I'm sure there were many loyal 200 series fans out there who had nothing good to say about the "junk" 300 series when they first started coming out. This is an ongoing cycle.

Thankfully we have guys like Walter, Bob, and many others who put in the time to help figure these things out. :)

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like pro94lt I have almost 6 years commercially on my 562xp with the dreaded EL45 carb. It had a bad bog for about the first tank and a half but been solid since. I also have almost 2 years on a JRred 2260 with the EL48 carb and its never given any kind of problem.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, as the 562 in my area has a bad reputation. Usually saws have computer run problems.....but if they don't it's a clutch side bearing going out.
Seems to be the same issues over and over. Contractor in the area use these also and order them in by pallet load as the GF'S pick ups are full of non functioning saws. They did saw the saws ran good and no problems at lower elevations.....now their using them from 4000 to 6400 feet.
They have quit using the 540T because of issues and replaced them with Stihls....just another tidbit.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
They did saw the saws ran good and no problems at lower elevations.....now their using them from 4000 to 6400 feet.

So, are they running well at elevation, or are they having problems?

Fullkip

Timber Faller/Saw Porter/Hunting Guide
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned all the years of 562s ,from 2011 el44 ones to the newest el48 ones and still make a living with them cutting timber on a pro level. The best advice I can give is to keep them sharp, I know at times its hard to do in the tree service world. Dull chains get the bar and chain hot quick . The heat plays hell with the plastic bearing cages.I'll stop and tap the air filter out or put a clean one on when things dry out just takes a minute. Keep an extra sharp chain and a clean air filter handy.
I know this is common knowledge but I watch it not being followed all the time. The worst stuff I see comes off the fireline...
They are great saws that keep getting better...

Fullskip

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned all the years of 562s ,from 2011 el44 ones to the newest el48 ones and still make a living with them cutting timber on a pro level. The best advice I can give is to keep them sharp, I know at times its hard to do in the tree service world. Dull chains get the bar and chain hot quick . The heat plays hell with the plastic bearing cages.I'll stop and tap the air filter out or put a clean one on when things dry out just takes a minute. Keep an extra sharp chain and a clean air filter handy.
I know this is common knowledge but I watch it not being followed all the time. The worst stuff I see comes off the fireline...
They are great saws that keep getting better...

Fullskip

I just repaired one that had a bad PTO bearing and clutch drum bearing. It only has a few hour on it......but I bet you a dull chain killed it.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep hoping I'm going to run into a burnt up 562 that someone has lost patience with and I'll pick it up cheap. Then I'm going to figure how to put a modded standard carb on it and some steal caged bearings.
Steel Caged bearings would be nice, but wouldn't care to loose CST access .... now that I see what is there. There is a fellow who did that and posted on the "other" site. Clever adaptation of Husqvarna Strato parts. Not certain of the real gain other than "I did it pride". Wonder if a narrow bearing & a seal with the same OD and the outer race would be workable. Going to try and research that not just for 562's, but the 390's and 576's as well. Would love to rid myself of Nylon caged bearings..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep hoping I'm going to run into a burnt up 562 that someone has lost patience with and I'll pick it up cheap. Then I'm going to figure how to put a modded standard carb on it and some steal caged bearings.

There's a thread on AS about putting a 576 intake and carb on a 562.

But the steel caged bearings will be a different matter. They are both proprietary bearings that have integrated seals.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

BUT you inadvertently brought up a point.....with all the vitriol online, you would think they are hated by many. Yet I've never seen a cheap carcass. Should be everywhere if they were hand grenades.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a thread on AS about putting a 576 intake and carb on a 562.

But the steel caged bearings will be a different matter. They are both proprietary bearings that have integrated seals.

Wonder if an arraignment like is on the 038's might work.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if an arraignment like is on the 038's might work.

I can't see anything really working. But.....I also don't see it as a big deal either. Takes about an hour to change a bearing, and they ain't that expensive.....