550xp transfer covers

skylogger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i tried rtv red with the gasket first that was a mistake it blew out, then i went with anaerobic without the gasket it blew. Now im thinkin just JB Weld the sob and be done with it. Any other suggestions?

skylogger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a8c3ecc23527d46b5daf88c42d461375.jpg

Let it sit for 2 days[emoji31]

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Loctite 518, but I don't recommend it to others. Everything has to be extremely clean, and there is a cure time. The Yamabond, Hondabond, etc is easier to use.

skylogger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah that was stupid of me not to put the gasket back in I didn't realize the gap was as big as it was on that side. I'll try and find some yamabond 4 on the way home from work today, if not I guess I'll try the anaerobic permatex again with the gasket.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loctite 518 anaerobic sealer for me too. Clean all surfaces including o'rings really well with solvent then alcohol and it works good.

Yeah that was stupid of me not to put the gasket back in I didn't realize the gap was as big as it was on that side. I'll try and find some yamabond 4 on the way home from work today, if not I guess I'll try the anaerobic permatex again with the gasket.

Do what Alan said here.......clean......clean......then clean it again.

skylogger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. On a side note, I learned what a bad air leak sounds like on a saw lol!

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It may be simple to just goop it up and screw it in, but make a project out of it, like others have said, clean real good and take your time with what ever sealant your gonna use. I use a nail to spread it and make sure I do a neat job along with proper coverage.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there has been a problem with those oring dont know why they havent started selling them.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if there is an update on the transfer seals on the 550xp. Are the cover seals available to the repair market yet?

I ended up with a 550xp Mark I for very cheap. It would not idle but runs with throttle. The piston is slightly scored and the ring is chunked a bit. I began the troubleshooting with a pressure test and it shows a moderate air leak at the bottom of the PTO side transfer cover. It looks like the corner of the seal was cut by the screw at installation.

I either need another gasket or a good means to repair it. I've made o-rings before, but this seal has a bit of shape to it, so I would rather have one that follows the contour better.

550xp Transfer cover and seal close.jpg
550xp Transfer cover and seal small.jpg
550xp Transfer cover small.jpg

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the seal isn't available couldn't you use some metric "O" ring cord and join it with super glue? The cord is made in several materials including BUNA N and Viton

That's what I have done previously in other applications. I think I have suitably sized 0-ring material. However, the cover seals look to be formed square and the corners look pre-shaped.

It's a known leaky area, so I would like to set myself up for the best results from the start. It's puzzling why this seal isn't available from Husqvarna.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I have done previously in other applications. I think I have suitably sized 0-ring material. However, the cover seals look to be formed square and the corners look pre-shaped.

It's a known leaky area, so I would like to set myself up for the best results from the start. It's puzzling why this seal isn't available from Husqvarna.

Let me know if you can't find one.