461 Air leak?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welllllll, I think I may have an issue with my MMWS 461. We were doing some saw training/road daylighting with a group of sawyers on a WMA. While taking a break, my supervisor grabbed my saw and started cutting. Generally, no big deal, he is pretty experienced, I gassed it up with my mix, and it wasn’t anything sketchy. Anyway, he was bucking some pines in the road and misread the bind. He jerked pretty quick and got it out before it really bound up. After that, it sounded like it didn’t want to idle, then it would idle fast, then it would die. I started it and it went from normal idle to fast idle without me touching the throttle and I immediately shut it down and put it in the tool box.

After getting up at 4AM to drive three hours to get there. Sawing until 4:30P, driving three hours home, I am whooped and didn’t have time to look at it.

Where do I start? Check the intake boot? Seals? Re-tune? I did have to adjust the carb some since we were about 3,000 feet above where I normally operate. I DO NOT have a Mighty Vac. I assume it is something simple, but definitely don’t want to burn it up. This is a fairly low hour saw. I asked him how hard he pulled and he said “not too hard, I knew we had other saws”. He is typically good about not jerking and pulling on saws unlike some other agency employees, lol.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Intake boot or impulse line would be my guess. Either could have a small rip or crack.
I’ll try to get it town down tomorrow. Hopefully something simple. Didn’t think about the impulse line. Would that explain the erratic running?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll try to get it town down tomorrow. Hopefully something simple. Didn’t think about the impulse line. Would that explain the erratic running?
I had a 361 that the impulse line would notoriously pull off the cylinder nipple if the saw was jerked on to free it. I would echo checking the impulse line and intake boot first… it’s probably something simple.

ZeroJunk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different saw I know, but I had a MS661 come in burnt up and the manifold was split at the clamp like it was cut with knife.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 361 that the impulse line would notoriously pull off the cylinder nipple if the saw was jerked on to free it. I would echo checking the impulse line and intake boot first… it’s probably something simple.
@Loony661 was correct, impulse line came loose. Thanks for the help sir.