440/460 hybred channel

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also have the old style flywheel for the 12 mm saw. It has more fins, and is quite a bit heaver. Seems that this would increase inertia so it will tend to hold rpms better, or just twist the crank out of time lol
The heavier FW with more fins was originally on the 10mm saws.....then on the early 12mm saws. They disappeared about the same time as the slant fin cylinders AFAIK.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if a guy is going to try to build a MS440/460 hybrid. Is it possible for a guy who is NOT
a porter? Asking for a friend. :cool:
Simple answer is yes. You’ll need a 046/460 jug and slug. The cylinder needs some clearance work on the sides of the base and a little on the outside of the transfer tunnels and the bolt holes in the cylinder base need to be slotted to line up with the holes in the cases. Some cylinders will need a couple cooling fins ground down a bit. You’ll also need some sort of spacers for the bottom muffler bolts. 5/16 nuts typically work pretty good for spacers.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Mike said the answer is yes, but if I were not having it ported I would not do it as the 044/440 may be just as strong (or stronger).