1st saw

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember for sure but I believe the 1 my dad had me running when I was 5 or 6 cutting firewood was a homelite or Craftsman . I know I know sounds like b.s but I promise ya he did .

Yes, I believe it. My dad started me on his Homie Super 2 when I was 7 or 8 and he figured I understood it was a potentially dangerous tool. Prior to that I cut alot of wood with a hatchet and small axe.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Partner about 30yrs ago. I know today's saws have never been better blah, blah...but wasn't it kinda cool when Stihl's and horskies were not so common place. Mac dealers local, Homelites were a trusted mans saw, Partner & Mac dealerships signs were seen as you past through towns. MAC was doing incredible innovation in 2T design. A logger was wearing and using all USA made product. Them foreign import saws were not trusted by all nor necessary. Torrington roller noses were 'normal' kit. 797's were de shiz. For'0'for chain wasn't considered big. No one ever weighed their saw on kitchen scales and took pics of it. All that sorta stuff.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw i ever ran was a 42cc craftsman / poulan. Next was a 038 mag.
I was 12 getting firewood with my grandpa and he stuck this saw in my hands and said get to work. I knew appsolutly nothing about saws but it was a real blast. A fter this saw got dull he fired up the 038 and i used that. Wow. What a difference. All i remembered was this other saw was like night and day compared to first one.
This is what got me hooked.
My first saw i baught was a poulan wildthing. Since then i now have over 30 saws and still looking. All but a couple run.

And yes i have the 038 that really got me hooked. Will never part with that saw.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw I ever ran was my Dads Jonsered 455 which he bought new in 1986. It had the original spark plug in it until a couple years ago, reliable little SOB.

First saw I ever owned was a 346XP/NE, bought in 2008 after I moved back home. Then I met all you fellers...you know how the rest of that story goes lol

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was in junior high and some hurricane kept us out of school for a week or so. I went to my Moms friends house to “clean up”. She said the tools were in the garage. I got a few rakes and started raking leaves when the owner came out and told me that she could rake, I was there for all of the trees that weren’t vertical. She took me to the shelf that had 3 Craftsmen chainsaws. None of them worked, so my first few hours were repairing recoils, cleaning air filters and wire brushing spark plugs. In the next 1/2 hour, I learned that its best to keep the chain outta the dirt and that the file had to be pushed in a laser straight line for big chips. After the cleanup, I wanted my own saw, but still had to answer to my mother. In 10th grade, I purchased my very first saw, an Echo 330EVL. Still have it today and she is still used for the small stuff. Next I purchased an 044 Magnum when I got out of the military, and since then my saw collection has grown. I’ve gotta have over 30 running saws now, plus I’ve also got about a dozen or so apart in boxes, most boxes are still sealed up with the tape they were shipped in.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was 10 and told to use an electric charger iui nsaw to cut firewood. At 14 I went to Sears and bought a micro 25 top handle. That thing really cut, but the vibes hurt and my mom felt sorry for me taking down a big old dogwood tree and bought me an 028 super that was on sale for like $229. Man that was a Cadillac compared with that little Craftsman Poulan. I still have it and wish to always keep it. My first big saw (066) was in 2010.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl 036. My dad bought it new in 1989. Probably cut 10-15 cord of fire wood with it for almost 20 years. I now have it since the farm was sold and dad can no longer use it due to health problems. I’ll never sell it.

Same here. Every word of your story is the same for me. Might have been 1990 or something when he bought it, not sure. I sent mine to Dr Al a couple years ago for a refresh. I need to run it sometime soon. Been a few months.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First saw was dad's 064, they logged behind our house and me and my brother cut and sold loads of the tops for $25 a stacked pick up load, one guy bought every load we could get, we each bought a new compound bow that year, think I was 10 and he was 12.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the actual RA, first one I ever got to run on my grandfathers farm, I was 13 that year and it was deemed that I was big enough to run it in the wood yard, my dad had just bought a brand new Pioneer 600 and that saw became mine 3 years later.

IMG_1881.jpg

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was probably about ten when my dad cut me loose with his Husqvarna 61, it was the first year model of the white top, no chain break, he said son just don’t cut your leg off or your mother will be mad at us! My first saw I owned was a second Han Homelite super ez. Loved that little saw. I love the old 61’s found one to remember the old times with about a year ago.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw was a homelite super 2 given to me by a family friend missing the wrap handle. He asked my dad if I could have it dad said sure” figured he was safe since it was a non running saw and he even agreed to buy a handle if i got it going. Had it running the next day mom wasn’t real happy but they got all the dead trees in the yard gone for a 20$ handle

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw I ever ran was dads 90 242 XP that was retired to backup saw duty after a season and a half in the bush. It was replaced by a 42sp as that's all the dealer had when he went to get his new saw in the spring. I spent quite a bit more time running that 42 Special as the 242 got traded on a 254 because he had a hardwood contract to do, and a 242XPG was bought to replace the 42 SP. I have that 254, 242XPG, and the 246XPG that followed. I know Dad still had the 42 4-5 years before he passed but I have not been able to locate it.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw I ever bought was a 021 stihl, but I dont count that because withen a couple days I went back to the dealer and traded up to the 026 pro. That was a good saw, till I discovered a 10mm 044 that was a 250 dollar pawn shop find!

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl 028 Super firewood. Moved on to others but the 028 S still gets it done.
79e4816781b134615112e7def159f1b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
As a kid though my dad let me hold the end of a two man saw (or man and kid) for just little cutting on old willow tree. Taught me to shoot too. No snowflakes.

Last edited: