044 stumbles at idle....

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hi all, I have a friends stihl 044 at the moment and it's giving me grief! Usually I will figure out 90% of small engine issues but this one......
so I recently gave it a new piston and ring as it was slightly scored and I cleaned up the original cylinder, so I know the compression is great.
After I rebuilt it I ran one tank through it and noticed no running issues, I tuned it slightly fat as I always do for engine longevity.
Anyways he claims he used it once and said it ran great, and now the second time he went to use it it kept stalling out when he put the saw down, since running the saw myself it runs great at wide open throttle but when you let it idle it stumbles and gets worse and worse until it stalls out then it's very hard to start.
I removed carb and gave it a new diafram kit, new needle, changed fuel filter, and some fresh fuel, (just incase his fuel was bad.
After all that, it's still the same.
Also I re inspected the piston all ok.
I've checked fuel line and impulse hose, ok.
I'm now starting to think crank seals
But I thought bad crank seals make the saw lean out and idle up not down.
Any advice would be great. !

Last edited:

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Can you not re-tune it and see if it holds the tune? Could still be a carb issue, but I'm Interested to hear what others suggest

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
depends on the size of the leak. ive seen seal looks so bad that the carb fuel pumps couldnt pull fuel from the gas tank. i haver also seen where the seal would only leak above 6000 rpms. also make sure that the tank vent is good

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pressure vac test the fuel system and motor as mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don't have the tools for vac/pressure test, just go ahead and do the crank seals.
They are pretty cheap and not too hard to do. Get a couple extras if its your first time.
Also check the intake boot for a rip.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lean out the L just till the idle barely starts to climb and then leave it. Mine had the same issue if it was tuned too fat on L. The fuel pools in the intake on those saws and a correctly tuned L screw migitates that.

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for the replies, at this point I removed impulse hose and intake boot and closely inspected them, there ok and free of any splits plus the clamp was tight. I have orderd a set of crank seals and going to try that, I do not have a pressure/vac tester unfortunately I should invest in one though.
ill keep updating the progress

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just wanted to give an update on this saw,
so I completely removed fuel tank and thoroughly checked fuel hose and intake boot, they are perfect, the tank vet breaths to.
I then replaced crank seals and checked crank movement while I was at it, there was no movement and bearings spin smoothly,
also the coil has correct air gap and the key for the flywheel is not sheared
I also pulled carb back apart and made sure all my diaframs were fitted correctly and that the metering lever was at correct height
all was ok.
so I'm very confused as to why its still runs good at WOT but when you let it idle it has an uneven idle that stumbles and slowly gets worse than stalls out
its almost like its flooding itself, I'm thinking of replacing the carb but I would not like to waste more money.
I should also note I did a base gasket delete when I rebuilt saw but I don't think this would have anything to do with it......would it

Last edited:

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one other thing,
I was looking online at carbs for the 044 and including HLsupply website and I noticed they have a universal carb that will bolt onto a 044 and 046 but when I compared the carb off this 044 to the 046 carb it has a smaller throat size ?

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hi there, just an update if anyone is interested, i have fixed the issue with this saw!! and as mentioned above i defiantly need to invest in a pressure/vac tester so as it turns out i had an air leak coming from the cylinder base, you see i done a base gasket delete to this saw and it happened to blow out some sealant as there is a small cavity on the sealing surface of the cylinder where i assume an impulse fitting may be used on some models but it created a very small sealing surface for the sealant to work, as ive done at least 30 base gasket deletes in the past trouble free i did not consider an air leak at all.
a good learning curve for sure.
the piston on the intake side has had a bit of wear unfortunately due to this air leak but no scoring. i will reuse it. and ive now fitted a base gasket to bring it back to stock.

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hi there, just an update if anyone is interested, i have fixed the issue with this saw!! and as mentioned above i defiantly need to invest in a pressure/vac tester so as it turns out i had an air leak coming from the cylinder base, you see i done a base gasket delete to this saw and it happened to blow out some sealant as there is a small cavity on the sealing surface of the cylinder where i assume an impulse fitting may be used on some models but it created a very small sealing surface for the sealant to work, as ive done at least 30 base gasket deletes in the past trouble free i did not consider an air leak at all.
the piston on the intake side has had a bit of wear unfortunately due to this air leak but no scoring. i will reuse it. and ive now fitted a base gasket to bring it back to stock.
IMG_2030.JPG

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most saws get wear on intake skirt even after low hours.

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ever figured out why it cooked the first time?
It never was cooked so to speak but it was the original piston and had quite a bit of wear as this is a high hour saw, so it was more a case of giving it a freshen up.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking you just haven't hit the sweet spot combination of "L" & "LA"

Sounds like it's too rich on L
Lean it out some and back the idle out some to equalize the idle RPM.
Which should be approx 2800

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking you just haven't hit the sweet spot combination of "L" & "LA"

Sounds like it's too rich on L
Lean it out some and back the idle out some to equalize the idle RPM.
Which should be approx 2800
Agreed. It sure sounds like its to fat on the L setting.