High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

044 problems

NZsawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been having problems with my 044 leaking fuel for a while now and after taking it to the stihl shop and another mechanic with no luck I took matters into my own hands. It seemed to be leaking out the carb and exhaust so I took the muffler off and saw the piston was a bit scored. After taking the cylinder off I saw it was real dirty and noticed some of the exhaust port had been burred. I'm thinking it just needs a new piston and rings, any help is much appreciated!

IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG
Cheers, George

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like carbon scoring to me.

Fuel out of the exhaust is flooding.

Your air filter ok? Choke functioning correctly?

I'd clean up the exhaust port and any cylinder transfer, replace the piston and rings.

Rebuild the carb and put a new air filter and fuel filter on.

Run the saw for another 10 years.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Al. I see no evidence of an air leak there. But definitely rich with some carbon scoring. Looks like an easy cleanup. I've had 2 carbs now that the metering needle didn't seat intermittently. One leaked out the carb box, an 031, and the other it ran into the motor and flooded it, a 460.
Have you had issues starting it, i.e. Flooding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been having problems with my 044 leaking fuel for a while now and after taking it to the stihl shop and another mechanic with no luck I took matters into my own hands. It seemed to be leaking out the carb and exhaust so I took the muffler off and saw the piston was a bit scored. After taking the cylinder off I saw it was real dirty and noticed some of the exhaust port had been burred. I'm thinking it just needs a new piston and rings, any help is much appreciated!

View attachment 82877 View attachment 82878 View attachment 82879 View attachment 82880
Cheers, George
The 2 before me appear to have the technical information covered, so I will only add welcome to OPE, an excellent place for the aforementioned technical information and plenty of fellowship with like minded fellow's and also a liberal dose of tomfoolery! Once again Welcome, Matt......

NZsawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cheers guys, you've already been a lot more help than my local stihl shop! Yes it's been flooding quite bad. Fuel leaking out both carb and exhaust. Recently had carb kit and replaced fuel filter, air filter is good but full of fuel at the moment. It's a genuine stihl cylinder so if it only needs piston and rings I'll be happy!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good advice so far.

I'd double check the order of the carb diaphragms and gaskets along with the metering lever height before I'd worry about the tank vent causing flooding. Sounds like the metering to me. The tank vent is supposed to maintain pressure in the tank and allow air in (not out) to equalize pressure as the fuel level goes down.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
only thing I would add, check the popoff pressure, but you may not have the tools, when you rebuild the carb make sure the needle valve seats, [popoff 6/7psi] iirc
you could try releasing any pressure by the tank cap. but it could still be the needle in the carb weaping as the tank pressure builds. ie in the sun
anyhow, welcome...and let us know how you get on
cheers

NZsawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tank vent is good, will be going over the carb before it goes back in. Piston is back in just waiting to get the saw back from a pressure/vac test. Can't wait till I can get it back in some wood!

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Needle isnt seating.
Order a new spring when you do the carb.
Most kits dont come with them. I can get a PN if you need.
I assume its a Walbro?

NZsawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Adirondackstihl cheers man pn would be appreciated. Yep she's a walbro, getting saw back from pressure/vac test on Monday so can finally start putting it back together

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never run across a bad metering lever spring.

I 've sure as hell lost a few good ones over the years, though!

Hell, you'd think that'd be the one thing they'd include a couple of in freekin' a carb kit just because so many get launched into oblivion.

NZsawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I checked metering spring, seemed good! Was seating properly. But upon taking out the inlet needle there was a lil bit of crud on the end so hoping that is the end of my troubles, seems to good to be true though :rolleyes: on another note the pressure/vac test came back with a leaking clutch side seal. Replaced the o-ring on the crank but still leaking so will replace the whole seal too. Also after tidying up all the dirty parts for reassembly I noticed the muffler has a big crack where it meets the gasket :( so something else to fix before I can actually use it